Do you feel like nobody cares about you?! Do you feel like making friends is something you should have learned how to do in elementary school and now you are out of luck? Or maybe you’re just looking to cultivate and deepen some awesome relationships you already have?! Good news! We’re talking about all of it! How to find friends, make them, keep them, and when to let them go! And I know it’s going to open your mind to how many awesome resources you have! But to talk about this I brought one of my good friends, and a friend to many, Ashley Rose Reeves!
Before we get into how and where to make friends it’s helpful to get clear on a few things.
What do you think a good friendship is?
There’s no right or wrong here! But before you can work to build the friendships you want you need to be aware of what that means for you!
Is my definition of a good friendship sustainable?
Life ebbs and flows and relationships do too! What we once were able to give, or what we needed in return from a friendship might no longer be true or realistic. You gotta let it flow baby!
What patterns and habits do I have around friendships?
Sometimes it isn’t that all our friendships are failing and we are the worst, it’s just that we have old patterns and habits that are taking the wheel!
Do I create drama around friendships?
We ALL have a thing we stir up drama around- for me it’s work- but for some people it’s friendships! No shame- just something to keep in mind when you are working though relationship pain points!
OK SO NOW, WHERE DO I EVEN MAKE FRIENDS!?
It’s hard as adults to even know where to go to make new friends! Here are a few ideas!
- Let’s be friends IRL (in real life)!!! Social media is an incredible tool for connection and can be a great place to find people- but take it to real life!
- Get off the couch! Go to places and events in your community! Even a gym, or park, or classes through your local library provide opportunities to meet people!
- Make the first move! Not getting invited to things? Time to send out your own invitation to others!
COOL I’M HERE, BUT HOW DO I MAKE THE FRIEND!?
We sometimes feel dumb when we don’t know what to do or say as adults because we think it’s something we should have all figured out by now? But that’s a lie. SO let’s figure it out now!
- Be interested, not interesting! Fight the urge to lead with all the reasons YOU ARE A CATCH (even though we both know that’s obviously true) and take interest in others!
- Open the conversation with a question like “what are you excited about right now!?” It frees both of you from needing to make assumptions about lifestyle and always brings out the passion and positivity!
- Be willing to open up. You’ve gotta have skin in the game. It’s scary but worth it!
We dive in deeper on all this stuff and talk more about how to know when it might be time to let a friendship go and how to handle that in today’s episode! I think this stuff is not just helpful but also a little healing to work through! I hope you go check it out!
Eric takes us out with “Grandad’s Workshop” from the Parisian Cafe Collection at Pleasant Pictures Music Club!
Awesome things we referenced in this episode:
Past Episodes we referenced
Other Awesome Stuff
AWESOME ON DEMAND where we are focusing on ACTION for August!
This awesome episode is brought to you by:
Sign up for my tasty Thought Nuggets!
For more fun, be sure to subscribe to my YouTube Channel!
Follow The Alison Show on Instagram (where I party hard).