I LOVE peach season!
One of my favorite things to do is to troll around town with my large diet dr. pepper looking for peach stands on the side of the road. Peaches are so good as is, but why not add some fat to nature’s goodness? Eh?! That’s why I created this Caramel Peach Upside Down Cake a few years ago. I was really into baking pies at the time, but wasn’t happy with the way my peach pies were turning out. So I combined a few recipes and came up with this naughty treat. It’s fairly simple and always turns out yummy if you follow my instructions! Plus the recipe makes 2 8″ round cakes, so you can bake one for you and one for a friend!
I made these for the Beary Cute Baby shower I helped throw. See the rest of the pictures from the party here!
CLICK THROUGH FOR THE FULL RECIPE
CARAMEL PEACH UPSIDE DOWN CAKE
FOR CARAMEL & PEACH TOP:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
2 tablespoons water
3 large ripe peaches
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, plus more for pans
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 large eggs 3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1. Start your caramel. In a med saucepan stir the sugar, water and corn syrup over med heat until dissolved. Bump the heat to high and let the caramel bubble until it is a soft amber color.
2. Meanwhile butter your 8″ cake pans. Cut two pieces of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pans, and then butter the paper as well. Put a tablespoon of flour in each pan and shake it around to coat the pans evenly. They are now prepped!
3. Cut your peaches into 1/2″ slices.
4. Once your caramel is ready pour half in each prepped pan. The caramel will harden, but don’t fret, it will melt again while baking. Just try your best to spread it evenly in each pan.
5. Place your peaches in concentric circles to cover to bottoms of the pan.
6. For your CAKE: In a bowl whisk flour, baking powder, soda, & salt.
7. In a mixer cream room temp butter and sugar.
8. Add eggs and yolks one at a time into the sugar butter.
9. Pour your vanilla into your buttermilk.
10. Alternate adding the flour and buttermilk into your eggy sugar butter. Mix for 2 minutes.
11. Once your cake batter is ready pour half over each cake.
12. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes then cover with foil and continue baking (15-25 more minutes) until a toothpick comes out clean.
13. Let cakes cool. Run a knife around the edge of the pan before inverting.
14. Top with fresh whipped cream!
I hope you try this cake and enjoy it! Happy peach eating!