Ginger’s 4th Birthday: Unicorn Party

AlisonUnicorn13
unicorn-party-4-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-5-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-21-the-alison-show unicorn-party-3-the-alison-show

unicorn-party-23-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-24-the-alison-show

BEHOLD! The Unicorn Parade! Well mostly it was a 4-year-old’s birthday party with a bounce house, pizza, and WAYYYY too many sweets. Haha, cotton candy “cloud fluff”, candy kabobs, unicorn cookies, #4 cookies, and loads and loads of silvery cake!

But my girl! My Ginger Jane. She is still insisting (and has been for about 3 months) that we call her “Ginger” and not “Gigi.” She negotiates like it’s her job, and refuses to take a nap even though she desperately needs one.

Prepping for her birthday party this year was especially difficult, because she’s old enough to want to play with and steal everything I bought for the party in advance. And I get it, how can I expect a 4-year-old to watch me buy dozens of tiny toys, loads of glittery things, bags and bags of candy, balloons and party blowers and trust that she won’t to sneak into my office to ruin them? I just can’t. I know I personally don’t have that much self-control. But it doesn’t change the fact that I wanted to scream when I found her under the kitchen table DEMOLISHING the 5lb gummy bear I was going to display (with a unicorn horn), rendering it totally useless. Or that I wanted to pull my hair out when she RUINED these gorgeous (only found online) party-horns.

Because it’s HER party, not mine. Haha. And if ruining the decor is part of the fun, I have to make like Elsa and “let it go.” Even though I want to (but don’t, don’t worry) yell, “I’m doing these FUN THINGS FOR YOU! SO LET MOMMY HAVE FUN DAMMIT!” Haha. Because that kind of defeats the point, right?

And I think as she gets older, and it’s more important for the party to be about HER and her likes and what’s fun for her friends, (not what is fun for mommy and mommy’s blog) I will take a step back from my over-the-top party decor and just dump the lot of them at chuck-e-cheese, because honestly it would be A LOT less expensive and just as much fun for the kids.

I’ll just have to channel my party madness into other holidays and events, and luckily I still have a few more years left with Rad. Because nothing gets my creative juices flowing QUITE like a kid’s birthday party. I adore them!

But the Unicorn Parade kind of felt like the end of an era with my baby girl. 4-years-old, well that’s basically big-kid status. So I went all out, like I like to do. And even though it was a bit hairy prepping the party, my birthday girl and all her tiny friends seemed to have a fantastic time.

The actual “parade” consisted of everyone putting on their unicorn horns, which I made by glittering cotton candy cones, and getting sprayed with silly string and silver confetti while we marched to the jump house.

unicorn-party-26-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-12-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-14-the-alison-show

As you can see it was SUPER glamourous. Haha but really cute! It was a VERY hot day, like record-breaking hot, and you can see it in all the kid’s red little faces! But they were troopers!

unicorn-party-10-the-alison-show

I rented the same cute kid’s tables and chairs that I did for Rad’s Banana party, and I painted each kid’s name on there. I basically got heat stroke setting up for the party two days in a row in the 90 degree heat! BUT IT WAS WORTH IT! At each place-setting I put one of my unicorn cookies, a skewer for the candy kabobs, a horn, and some little wands for the ladies.

unicorn-party-8-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-27-the-alison-show

The candy kabobs were cute and easy. I put all the candy at an adult table in the shade, you know, so it wasn’t just a free for all! Thought it has been a free-for-all with the leftovers in my office. I keep finding Ginger hiding behind the “Throne of Awesome” downing sour gummy worms. Hahaha.

unicorn-party-6-the-alison-show unicorn-party-7-the-alison-show

unicorn-party-22-the-alison-show

The cakes were kind of too goo to be true. It was VERY hard for me to let go of making the cake, but I just can’t do it all these days. Dolce Bella by Erin is my new go-to! Her cakes and cookies are…this is terrible, as delicious as I believe my own to be! Haha. These cakes were UNREAL! Funfetti with vanilla buttercream, and one chocolate cake with salted caramel buttercream. Uh. Yeah. They were so freaking good.

unicorn-party-17-the-alison-show

unicorn-party-16-the-alison-show glitter-cake-the-alison-show

glitter-cake-2-the-alison-show
unicorn-party-28-the-alison-show

I have a pretty nice husband. He loved manning the cotton candy machine. I’m not kidding, I WANT A COTTON CANDY MACHINE SO BADLY! It’s my new life goal.

So there you have it! The Unicorn Party and Parade of, well, at least the year? Maybe? I don’t know, we had fun! I love my family. Even more than I love parties. And I love parties a lot.

unicorn-party-11-the-alison-show

As a side note, I could not be MORE OBSESSED with those mylar ballon letters. You can blow them up without helium, so you can hang them like a banner! They are seriously THE COOLEST. Northstar Balloons luckily sent me extra letters because the heat kept popping ALL my balloons. But the PARTY MUST GO ON!

unicorn-party-13-the-alison-show

All for this girl.

unicorn-party-19-the-alison-show

Here are the resources! UNICORN PARTY CENTRAL:

Cookies, Party Styling, Excessiveness: Alison Faulkner (me)
Photography: Becky Kimball
Unicorn Balloons and Balloon Letters: Northstar Balloons
Cake Topper and Candy Skewers: Gnome Sweet Gnome Shop
Cake: Dolce Bella by Erin
Heart balloons & Latex Balloons: Shop Sweet Lulu
Jump House: Air City Bounce (I really liked them)

You can check out Ginger Jane’s other birthday parties here: ONE, TWO, THREE.

And you can read/watch ALL my tips for planning your own party here!

xo,

1. Melanie 2 years ago

BEAUTIFUL! She must have loved it! Well done, mama!

2. Brittany ratelle 2 years ago

Amazing. I especially like your thoughts on parties ala mom-centric or kid-centric. A bit heavy for a glitter-filled page–eh– NEVER! It does feel like an ending of an era– but you’ve got the big picture girl and your G knows it. You’re awesome. 1)I also think a cotton candy machine should pre-empt the purchase of other non-fluffy hings…like a lawnmower.. And 2)your family is adorable and they know that sane and boring are synonyms for dull and you are never dull. “My horn can pierce the sky….”

3. Cindi Zatto 2 years ago

Allison!!!!! I love your spirit & I wish we were BFF’s!!! You once again knocked it outta the park!! Bravo! I think you should def invest in a cotton candy machine. I have one myself & it’s as fun as you imagine it would be!!!!!!!

4. Girl, this party is EPIC! I now suddenly need foil letter balloons, unicorn horns, and your sassy silver skirt! Loving the new site design. It’s totally fabulous, just like you :)

5. Shan 2 years ago

Absolutely incredible :) love everything !!

6. Kirsten 2 years ago

I LOVE this whole post! I designed the unicorn balloon at Northstar, and it is so much fun seeing it used so beautifully! It totally made my week! Thank you for sharing your incredible work and gorgeous photos! :) Unicorns Forever!

THAT IS SO AMAZING! That unicorn is PERFECT! Seriously! It transitions so well from playful to chic, I’d totally use it at an adult function too! I love it!

7. Melissa 2 years ago

This party looks amazing! where is that pink backdrop from?

8. KatieP 2 years ago

Through all of this amazing unicorn explosion…I keep wondering about your lip color! Spill it! I need details on that color!

HAHAHA it is two colors, but the main one is from H&M! it’s like a little lip tint in that light pink color! It’s better than the sephora stain I bought in the same color!

9. EHayes 2 years ago

She is adorable and this party is amazing. Love so much about it, but mostly how unique it is… clearly a work only you could pull off. You’ve made a fangirl out of me, I seriously am obsessed with everything you do.

10. Meaghan 2 years ago

I wish you were my Mom! I love everything about that party, everything. Now I’m off to go buy my own cotton candy machine, or fairy floss as they say down under!

11. Kelly Smith 2 years ago

Love the new site! Love the party!

12. Darilyn 2 years ago

Amazing! Love the redesign and Ginger is so darling!

13. Emily 2 years ago

This is the best thing I’ve ever seen on the Internet! I’m planning a glitter garden party wedding next June with dinosaur, camera, book and flamingo motifs, and this is blowing my mind right now. Love the tropical bar background. So inspiring, Thanks!

14. Thessaly 2 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpXRNi5HHGc&list=PLMdKMaqxA07-nBNUIH5qrVQgD1-MQjhHa&index=15 For Ginger and all the Unicorn Enthusiasts of planet earth! Astrid Strudelman, the Unicorn Whisperer is now on youtube.com/DreamworksTV

15. Jacqui 2 years ago

I love everything you do, you are such an awesome party planner and so inspiring. Thank you! I am planning a unicorn birthday party for my daughter and Im wondering where you got your “I’m a unicorn” shirt. I love it and would love to sport one for my daughters party. Thanks in advance.

16. Nickey 2 years ago

Oh em gee. This is the greatest birthday I have ever beheld! Hats off to you mom! (I just may have to copy this one day when I have a family… but seriously.)

17. Holly 2 years ago

How did you make the unicorn horns for the kids….were they cotton candy tubes?

18. Angie 2 years ago

The pink back drop on with the foil unicorn balloons and words how did you make that?

19. lauren 2 years ago

Where can we get that shirt?!

20. Lily 2 years ago

Just beautiful! Can you provide the supplies and where you purchased the items for the candy skewer?

The candy is from a local grocery store and the skewers are linked in the post! Thank you!

21. ady 1 year ago

That last picture. oh so sweet! Love the unicorn idea! :)

22. SelinaR 1 year ago

Absolutely love the pink foil background! Where can I find one?!

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

parade float stuff. com seriously hahah

23. Tina Turner 1 year ago

Hey!! Awesome post. Can you share where you purchased the super cool pink plates?

24. Chelsea 10 months ago

What is the pink stuff that you used for the unicorn parade backdrop? And where can I get it? I’m planning my daughter’s first birthday party, and I am so excited about the unicorn theme!

Alison Faulkner 10 months ago

Hey! I think it’s tagged in the post, it’s parade float siding, and I usually get it from a site called parade float stuff? I think? haha xo!

25. Jenna Cummings 10 months ago

Where is the Aztec background from?

Alison Faulkner 10 months ago

hey! that’s one of my rugs actually! ha it’s from the land of nod but it’s older!

26. Frances Zeringue 7 months ago

How did you make the unicorn horns?