Rad’s First Birthday Party: Banana Bash

Rad’s First Birthday Party: Banana Bash

They’re here! They’re here! Mr. Rad’s Banana Bash birthday photos! But I wanted you guys to REALLY feel like part of the party, so I also had Modern Atelier come and film the bash! It’s too freaking cute.

For a first birthday party it is really about watching the baby eat the cake. Haha, so I had food for the adults and a few activities for Gigi’s friends, but all in all it was about mingling, eating and then seeing Mr. Rad shove a mini cake in his face.

There was a simple “Banana Gram” photo wall, the frozen banana “stand” and an activity table for the kids, but mostly they just ran around like crazies and played in Gigi’s toy room downstairs. For an older kid’s party I try to make it more about the kid, but the first birthday is SO FUN because it’s mostly whatever MAMA WANTS. Muhahahaha.

IMG_7799 IMG_7796

So I’m going to be doing a few more posts about the party! On Wednesday I’m going to share the AMAZING cake tutorial for the “GO BANANAS” mini cakes that were the brain child of me and Betheny from The Apothecakery. And then I’ll have another video about the kid’s table with some tips on setting one up, and another post with all the downloads for the party! So I mean WE’RE GOING TO HAVE A LOT OF FUN!

The kid’s used their “Banana Bucks” or “Rad Cash” to buy a frozen banana, and they were SO into it, it was adorable. I mostly just made the bucks because I wanted to put Rad’s face on something, but the older ones, 4ish, thought it was too fun. Just something to keep in mind for your 4-6 year old crowd next time you need a party idea for them!

IMG_8065 IMG_7903

My men! Too cute, right? Even though April isn’t usually super cold in Provo, it ended up being a blustery and rainy day, so I was glad I had opted to move the party inside! This also meant removing all the furniture from our front room and renting tables and chairs. I know that seems intense, to do a rental order, but that’s because I AM INTENSE. And I was so glad to have all the seating and tables! I also rented the linens which is a nice upgrade from plastic tablecloths.

I was SO BUMMED because there was a mishap with my order and I thought some the party favors wouldn’t show up until right after the party! But in the middle of the bash the giant inflatable bananas I was OBSESSED with were delivered! I almost made out with the Fed-Ex lady I was so giddy. She was honestly terrified. It was funny because my little brother showed up at the same time she did, so he thought I was squealing and jumping because he had arrived. HAHAHA Poor Blake. I just put him to work blowing up giant bananas.

Screen shot 2014-05-12 at 7.13.30 AM

Ginger was having SO MUCH fun with her friends at the party I hardly saw her! Haha. But obviously the kids LOVED smacking each other with the giant bananas.

See more!

For the food I ordered some REALLY yummy gourmet pizzas from Slab and made a salad, then there were a lot of treats with the mini cakes, cookies, giant Rad donuts I ordered from the Provo Bakery and of course, the frozen bananas.

Rad was a TAD overwhelmed hahaha, can you tell?

But he was pretty happy with his cake and also when we let him crawl down the middle of the tables knocking over drinks like a rockstar (see video).

I can’t wait to share the rest some more details with you guys! But I hope you feel like you got to party with us today! It took me so long to upload all these friggen’ pictures, haha so I’m probably forgetting some sources so be sure to ask and I’ll add them in!

And a BIG HUGE thank you to Becky Kimball, who came and saved the day and helped me set up and get things all ready! And of course Heather Mildenstein, the best photographer ever, and Betheny from The Apothecakery, because not only did she make the cakes, she showed up early and chopped vegetables, and set up, haha and we had never met before! SUCH A DOLL! So be sure to check her out!

Want to see how a party hard all the time!? Haha check out Gigi’s first birthday party, second birthday party (the pony party this was by far my most INTENSE), and her third birthday party, thePuppet Party.

Ok party animals. I love you all!

1. Kelly Smith 2 years ago

If you can believe it, that made me cry! I just LOVE first birthdays, and you pulled off an amazing one. Banana Bash… genius. And Rad is SO cute! So cute!

2. Stephanie Whiting 2 years ago

ANOTHER FABULOUS PARTY! I love all of your unique party themes and I am so obsessed with those banana blowups too!! So fun!

3. Kathleen 2 years ago

I love this, Alison!! Everything is super adorable – the video is so great! Also, I definitely just ate a frozen banana but now I want even more. :)

4. Brooke Boddicker 2 years ago

Ahhhh! I love your parties! I get so excited to see all the details! You are a super talented mama! xo

5. lesley graham 2 years ago

i could not love this more!! you go mama and those babies of yours couldn’t be cuter. your top pushes everything over the awesome edge. well done!

6. Jessica 2 years ago

What a little charmer he is. The video is priceless!

7. verna 2 years ago

Cutest party ever and I love his name!!!

8. Kris 2 years ago

Love your parties! My little guy turns one in July and I’m planning a turquoise/yellow color scheme, too. I can’t wait to get into the party prep!
    I also just read your mothering essay and wanted to send a big hug, with thanks for being so honest. I’m trying to be more kind (and less judgy, even if it’s just in my head) and try to remind myself to channel some of that energy into giving myself a break, too.

9. Meaghan 2 years ago

He’s gorgeous! Happy Birthday to your little sweety! Gah, I just want to be your friend so bad!

10. EHayes 2 years ago

I love how creative your themes are, so awesome! Thanks for sharing Rad’s big day with us :)

11. HannahF 2 years ago

Alison, this party was super RAD! I love it, you party genius you!

12. Sasha 2 years ago

Amazing!! Best party ever, you are bananas

13. This is absolutely fantastic! I feel like I need to throw a banana party, stat. :)

14. Martha 2 years ago

LOVED. IT. So original!

15. style for miles, extreme comedy, a little super stoked bananas-powered birthday boy – SMILE ALERT! this is just the cutest 1st birthday ever! loved every last detail!! coolest party mama ever!! xo

16. Jamie G 1 year ago

These mini cakes are almost as cute as little Rad, almost..

17. Kerry Grolle 11 months ago

Hi Alison, I’m just catching up on things and I love what you did here. The reference to Arrested Development is hilarious – well done! I was wondering if you had shown the invitations to the party anywhere? I was watching your YouTube Channel and I recall you mentioning the specifics you included, but I’d love to see that in action. Cheers!

Alison Faulkner 11 months ago

Hey! I think I sent out a text message image! haha I’ll have to find it! Thank you!

18. Karen 4 months ago

can you tell me where the blow up bananas are from?

19. Kay 2 months ago

Hello I really would love to use some of your ideals. We’re did you get some of your party plates,balloons an other items