How to Be Awesome Part 4: Give Give Give

How to Be Awesome Part 4: Give Give Give

howtobeawesome-part4
photo by Nicole Hill Gerulat

It’s here! It’s here! How to Be Awesome: Part 4!

And if you need to, you can catch up on all of the How to Be Awesome series here!

So, I must say, I’m very happy with Part 4. I filmed it a couple of weeks ago, and I’ve been sitting on it, I don’t know why, just thinking about it, and what I should add or subtract. And in the end, I’m happy with all the little anecdotes and examples I have in there. I hope you like it too!

I kind of feel like this series is a turning point for me and my online life. It has just woken me up to what it REALLY is I love doing. Because yes, I LOVE making things, and I LOVE baking, and sharing those DIYs, also I REALLY love parties. But the reason I love those things is because they are how I personally show my love. They are what make me, me. And what I love even more than those things is the idea that my ideas might help someone, inspire someone, or make someone feel better about themselves.

My end goal for everything I do online is to create a brand, a place, a voice, that says, “Only you can be you, and you rock.” Whatever it is that makes you, you, I hope you embrace and rock it.

So. Ok. I’m kind of getting emotional so that means we should get to video! Yes?

Part 4 is about giving! I talk about giving thanks, giving your gift, and giving love!

And in case you need to catch up or get re-motivated, haha, here are parts 1-3.

Part 1: Get Started
Part 2: Put Your Goals Before Your Pride
Part 3: Don’t Poison Your well

I’d love to hear what you plan on giving more of this week for your awesome homework! So be sure to share in the comments! I read them all and respond to them in the section below! Thank you all for participating, reading, loving and being awesome.

1. Kelly Smith 6 months ago

Oh Alison, thank you! I agree with all of your gives. You are the best.

2. Sarah Evans 6 months ago

You are the awesomest. For real. I don’t know how I got through the entire advertising program (at the same time?!?) without ever meeting/becoming friends with you. My loss, for sure.

In your last section on giving (love the whole thing) – you reminded me of a quote I once heard by Camilla Kimball, “Never suppress a generous thought.” Words to live by!

Alison Faulkner 5 months ago

whoa crazy! but also I was crazy in college too, and kind of grumpy hahaha I love that quote! thank you!

3. Kiley Whelchel 6 months ago

Love, love, love!! My favorite one yet! & I couldn’t agree more! So inspiring and fun! I hope you do more videos in the future :) & I plan on giving SO much more!

You’re the bees knees! ;)

4. HannahF 6 months ago

I love the crap out of you, Alison. Thanks so much for this series and for the party advice you have given me! It turned out so swell, although making fifty of those darn cookies and cake pops were a beast! Yay huge animal cookies! I am still doing my awesome homework. This week I’m committing myself to 2 blog posts next week! I believe in my awesomeness! And I’m writing thank you notes as we speak for my niece’s party, I’m giving thanks ! Homework done for this week. Thanks for inspiring!

5. ronna 5 months ago

This is so AWESOME! Haha! I have recently been working on a life phrase, motto, mantra whatever you want to call it. I repeat it to myself in times of stress or In those moments where you aren’t sure how to respond to a situation. I use it at home with my own family and I use it professionally, I work with emotionally, mentally, and learning disabled students so I repeat it, sometimes hourly, it’s my screensaver on phone, laptop, and I’ve colored pics and posted them around my classroom. My motto is “Give Grace.” I feel like I was meant to watch this! Thank you! You’re the AWESOME guru!

Alison Faulkner 5 months ago

I love that! thank you so much for sharing!

6. Mandy 5 months ago

Alison! This is why I love you so much! You always brighten my day. My life got better when you entered it. I LOVE YOU!!!! I often think about that, and I want to be that person for someone else. Sorry to get so personal, but all my life I have always felt unimportant, weird, too shy, and scared to contribute to anything. When you first moved into my ward all those years ago I think the first thing you said to me was how pretty you thought I was. I was in shock! Mostly that someone so outgoing, talented, and fun thought I was worth knowing. I am so glad you have such a presence online, so I can still feel your love! A million thank you’s!!!
    I have already done my homework. My gift to the world is my gluten-free recipes! Ha! But seriously, they are for real. I gained 15 lbs in about 3 months, and I don’t even care.

7. Jane Putnam 5 months ago

Love this. I like Ronna’s point above about a person motto or mantra, and it’s something I’ve been doing in my own life lately. When things get overwhelming or I just feel overwhelmed and the stress really starts to weigh down on my, I say to myself my own little mantra, “I’ve done my best, I’ve done all I can do.” It helps me realize I HAVE done everything I can do so I don’t get burnt out and so that I can continue giving, just in other ways and other situations. Does that make sense? Again, I love this and it really hit home! xo

8. Bea M 5 months ago

Just stumbled upon your blog ! Love, love your style !! Just like Jane said, it really hits home ! Your outlook on life reminds me of the Pablo Picasso quote ” the meaning of life is to find your gift .The purpose of life is to give it away ” !
    Thanks for the great vid :)

9. Ally Sorenson 5 months ago

I realize that this is totally obvious but… you’re awesome!!!!

10. Elizabeth 5 months ago

I just watched videos 1-4 after stumbling across one of your epic dance videos on Instagram (girl after my own heart, I have posted a couple of epic (epic to me) ones on my blog too.. even a chair dancing one).. This is complete affirmation of what I need to do, perfect guidance. I have been telling myself for months now to give the love, comment on blogs I admire, tell random people I follow when they are awesome, don’t be a creeper, participate, get in there! And just this week I’ve been making a conscious effort every single time I feel down or alone to reach out to someone, anyone, and tell them something wonderful about themselves… a text to say I’m thinking of you… an email to say thanks for being a good listener… and you know what, my loneliness dissipates and I feel happier… and more AWESOME! That’s what I’m feeling– AWESOME! They are so surprised & grateful to receive my random comments of kindness! I make their day and they make mine by being made… and now you know how crazy I am, and I am done writing a novel in your comments section.. just, thanks, would have been more normal. oops. So, thanks!

Alison Faulkner 5 months ago

I love a novel! Thank you so much! I love your attitude so much, my favorite thing you said was “get in there!” That just might have to be part of the series!! thank you!

11. Shantelle 5 months ago

I discovered your blog through your interview with Monica Lee @ Smart Creative Women and thought your energy was the best. I’ve watched your YouTube videos as I do love crafting and great design but I have to say your Awesome series really is my favorite, #4 being so inspiring. Thank you for being so honest and open as a blogger and artistic inspiration. Keep doing all that you do as the passion it inspires is truly valuable.

12. Brooke 5 months ago

Alison!
    Seriously I don’t even know what to say. I absolutely LOVE love LOVE this series you’re doing. I am so happy that one click led to another and I ended up finding you on instagram and now here. I put a link to my website above, if you click you’ll see it says Coming soon. That’s because YOU inspired me to just start! Yup I went and paid for an entire year of web hosting to get my site up and running and I haven’t got all my ducks in a row but I’m just starting. I took that step forward thanks to your push. I truly think you have a gift and you are sharing it with the world. We’re a better world for it.

Can’t wait to see what part 5 brings :)
    thank you so much.
    Brooke

Alison Faulkner 5 months ago

that is so incredible to hear! thank you! and I wish you the best of luck! You’re gonna rock it!

13. Shannon Baumgart 5 months ago

thank you, I needed that. I need to quote you and hang up in my house or something. “if i have inclinations to do something good, i’m gonna do it!” I hold back sometimes, well no more baby! Thanks for the inspiration.