How to be awesome Part 3: Don’t Poison Your Well!

How to be awesome Part 3: Don’t Poison Your Well!

howtobe3
Hello friends! Are you feeling awesome?

No, but seriously, on a scale from 1 to 10, 1 being “I feel like crap” and 10 being “I feel AWESOME.” Whatcha at?

Currently I’m at a 7. But like 4 hours ago I’d say I was at a 1. Hahaha. Well my goal is by the end of this 3rd video, you can MAYBE be up to at least a 7, or well on your way to a 10. So let me know!

This is the 3rd installment of my How to Be Awesome series! If you’ll recall How to Be Awesome Part 1 was: Getting Started! and Part 2 was: Put Your Goals Before Your Pride.

Part 3 is: Don’t Poison Your Well!

In this video I talk about how in college I started thinking of myself as this well. It had a lot to do with creativity and my ideas, but I’d notice that when I didn’t take time to refill my well I’d have like, a breakdown. Well lately I’ve been noticing how often I poison my well, so I talk about common ways I think we all poison our wells, how to STOP THAT and ways to make sure your well, or person, is full of so much good clean water that you are flushing that poison out.

It’s going to be fun! Eric also made me film a dramatization that I put in this video as well. Haha! So here you go!

I love you and I hope you will report on your awesome homework! I’m not doing a giveaway on my youtube channel for completing it this time, but I think I’m going to do one on Instagram! And then maybe next time on my blog. So check IG for that ( @thealisonshow )

Happy weekend!
xo,

1. Kelly Smtih 6 months ago

Love it! Will do.

2. Katie Lewis 6 months ago

Just sat here and watched all 3. Loving this series! Look for an email from me too. :)

3. courtney zurcher 6 months ago

I love your video series! It is just what I needed :) I left a message on instagram, but what podcast does stephanie listen to? I listen to podcast all day while I work, I would love some recommendations. Thank you!!

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

You know what! I’ll get her to do a post about it for us! Cause I can never REMEMBER! haha xo

4. Laura 6 months ago

Thank you so much for your ‘aweseome’ posts! I just found your blog via Freshly Picked & now following you via bloglovin! I highly recommend reading ‘Do The Work’ by Steven Pressfield when you feel like you are in a funk. This book was awesome.

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

Oh awesome! I’ll order that today! I’ve been reading “You are a badass” and LOVING it so I’ll need another goody when I’m done!

5. Diana 6 months ago

I love your “How to be Awesome” series!! It always super inspirational for me and I love watching how excited and positive you are about everything!

6. Kiri 6 months ago

Alison!
    I just started following you on instagram, and just barely watched all three of your awesome vidoes – AND I’M OBSESSED!

You are SUCH a light, and breath of fresh air! I love seeing you totally in your element, and expressing exactly how you feel. You are definitely the best person to be putting on a series of How To Be Awesome!

As I’m about to launch a blog for my business, I’ve noticed I’ve totally been poisoning my own well. Like, a whole lot. I feel like I have so much to offer, and that hey, I’M PRETTY AWESOME TOO! But each time I sit down to write, this little ugly reel of mean voices triggers and I’m flooded with “you aren’t good enough to write that.” “people will hate that” “you’re a fraud.” and so on and so on. IT’S AWFUL!

But after watching your videos (and checking out a few of your stellar dance moves on insta) I feel so AWESOME! I feel like there is no reason in the world why I SHOULDN’T be writing. and chasing after my dreams. and eating shakes in the morning.

Thank you SO much for the kick of inspiration I needed to start in on my blog posts. You are a dream boat. Thank you!!!

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

Ok why am I like crying right now? HAHA that is just the nicest thing ever. I’m so happy that this could make you feel that way! But I mean I know the awesome was there obviously all along, inside you, duh, but I’m so honored if I could help pull it to the surface in ANY way! xo

7. Audrey 6 months ago

Loving this series! It is so easy to let the negative in, especially in online life. Thanks for the awesome tips! (See what I did there?). Keep it up.

8. Jackie Crane 6 months ago

I have lost weight! Thank you for noticing! But that’s because I had three babies in three years…which means I have A LOT to work on to feel/look awesome. Thanks for the homework and I am currently working on getting the “crap” out of my life. xo.

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

You HOT mama! You are a babe and those babies will drive a person INSANE! haha xo

9. Tracy 6 months ago

I just think you are the bomb-diggity. That video was AWESOME.
    I found you via Rachel of Smile & Wave on instagram. You sent her a pillow, and entered my life. You inspire me, lady. And your enthusiasm is contagious. Thank you!

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

Oh thank you so much! I LOVE Rachel! I’m so glad you came to the party!

10. Jessica 6 months ago

Love that last bit! You look really skinny! hahaha THANKS for keeping it real and inspiring people! You come off so confident I would never think that you yourself need awesome homework too. DUH, we all think we suck on occasion. I’m doing my homework!

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

aw hahah thank you! Oh no, I’m like SO up and down you’d be terrified. hahaha.

11. Lorren 6 months ago

Oh thanks, I have lost weight! Haha, kidding. I really needed this video — I saw it featured in Freshly Picked’s instagram and the title immediately resonated with me because I lately have a habit of poisoning my own well with negative thoughts. I feel like the last few months I have been especially self-defeatist (I just started a really challenging new job and it hasn’t gone as smoothly as I envisioned), and it has creeped into my friendships and family life as well. I constantly hear that I need to think positively and I know I do, but sometimes I get stuck on how to get out of my negative thought patterns and into a more positive ones. This image of “poisoning my well” is really vivid and I am hoping it helps me to change my thoughts. The first step is knowing you have to change, right? Thanks for sharing your thoughts — I really like this site and am now subscribed!

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

Aw thank you so much! It’s SO hard! So I didn’t get to share in the video but the book “You are a badass” has been helping me SO SO much!! It’s so hard to have to relearn these things in life over and over right?! haha thanks for joining the party! xo

12. Rachel Hagen 6 months ago

This is great video! It was fun getting to know you a little bit during your college days. :)
    Lately I feel like I’VE been the poison in my husbands well, and this was a great kick in the pants!! Being part of an entrepreneur team (can I call us a team?) can be so, so hard sometimes. So many ups and downs. And even when you’re going through a down-time, there are so many awesome, good things to look at. Thanks for the reminder. Keep it awesome, girl.
    xoxo

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

AW GIRL! HEY!! No! I think I’ve been doing the same thing to my hubby! Sometimes it’s REALLY hard not to just yell, “WE NEED TO MAKE MORE MONEY!!!” Freelance life is so fun and so stressful! RIght? right? hahaha. So thank you! and thanks for sharing!!

13. Gilit Cooper 6 months ago

I know we don’t actually know each other but sometimes it’s hard for me to contain my affection for you. This was EXACTLY what I needed.
    There is NO one harsher or meaner to me than I am. I always think I can do better and that other people are better than I am and it’s such a destructive habit. True story: I say mean things to myself in my head kind of like I said it first so Haha in your face you insulted me second! But no one insulted me. It’s insane. As is the length of this comment!
    Point being, I’m going to try and catch myself and I am going to refill my sparkling well (mine has sparkling water) with books and articles because I love learning new things!

14. Monica Lee 6 months ago

This is a terrific video and SUCH a timeless message for us at any age, right? You rock it girl! Being awesome doesn’t mean you don’t have doubt, being awesome means you have ways to DEAL with doubt! woot!!!!

15. Marilyn Faulkner 6 months ago

This is great advice for anyone, anytime, and I am not only reexamining my own murky well, but am thinking about how I occasionally do the poisoning of the wells around me with well-meant criticism – I’m sure I’ve mucked up yours plenty of times but I’m glad you are still keeping the faith in youself and others. I’m inspired to do better! Thanks Ms. Awesome!

16. HannahF 6 months ago

Thanks Alison! I love this series! However, I have not really done my awesome homework….. Well, that’s a lie- I did start. I challenged myself at decorating cookies! I have failed at decorating sugar cookies for forever. And I decided to put down that damn royal icing! And pick up the fondant. I am almost AWESOME at decorating cookies with fondant! I haven’t done anything with my 2 big awesome projects- being more committed with my event planning and my blog, but the little awesome projects I tackle have helped me gain courage for the big 2. Thanks Alison.

17. HannahF 6 months ago

And I’ve just admitted I am the person poisoning my well, or the voice inside me. I’m trying to be more positive and seek out more creative and positive people to inspire me. And talking to myself in the mirror and creating Post its around the mirror with positive quotes helps a lot. Thanks Being Mary Jane( TV show)

18. Amy 6 months ago

I’m loving this series! I’ve been in a new-Mama-don’t-know-what-to-do-with-my-life-now kind of funk. I’m enjoying staying home with my baby girl, and you have given me a new inspiration to JUST START whatever it is that I want to do, no excuses. Baby schedules are not that complicated, I can accomplish something besides feeding us and doing the dishes. Keep up the good work and thanks for brightening my day. xo

19. katie krysil. 6 months ago

Thank you so much. I needed this after a long day of working my day job with toxic individuals. I love that each night, though, I have the ability to make an awesome dinner (okay and awesome dessert) and do things that clear my well. It’s sort of the same ideas behind “filling your bucket” that I see in preschool classrooms that I’ve observed in (my day job is teaching preschool.)

20. Stacey 6 months ago

Hi Alison,
    Which apps is your dad utilizing? My dad, brother & I are each entrepreneurs and are sharing ideas constantly. Sometimes it seems like we are always encouraging each other to go bigger & “crazier”! I love your site, videos & Instagram. Thank you for shaing your zest for life!
    Stacey

21. Kasey 6 months ago

I am SO glad I popped on here today! I totally needed this. Thank you so much for putting yourself out there, the internet needs more Alisons! Definitely going to pick up one of those books that are in that giant pile of books I haven’t read yet. A much needed kick in the pants! thank you!

22. Jolie Ankrom 6 months ago

Alison, HUGE fan of this series! Just spent time to watch all three and I love it. Love your heart, your persistence in being true to yourself despite the haters. Been there and it’s hard. Thanks for being you and taking the time to make such a fun podcast. All the love! Jolie

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

thank you so much! And i do not get caught up in semantics! so glad you like it.

23. Jolie Ankrom 6 months ago

Also…. I just came back here to say, I realize this is a video series, not a podcast. Lol. Susan.

24. Tiffany 6 months ago

Girlfriend I love this series so much!!! Thanks for sharing.

25. Marie Antoinette 6 months ago

This video is the best! I mean seriously Alison please don’t stop making these videos because you really do inspire me. I feel like I’m poisoning my well all the time. Almost 4 years ago I dropped out of fashion design school and ever since then I feel like I’ve lost my creativity and my ability to turn my inspiration into something. I haven’t been able to follow through with projects and it really sucks. I feel like I have a bad case of add when I try and sit down to work on something. I feel like I have so many ideas but no ideas at the same time, does that even make sense? Like I don’t know how to execute things. Your videos have really helped me. Thank you so much

Alison Faulkner 6 months ago

thank you so much for watching and encouraging me! I need it most of the time! haha thank you

26. Pam 6 months ago

Thank you Allison! You’re enthusiasm helped with my Monday blues!!!
    Bless you today! :)

27. mack 5 months ago

Geez you inspire the Hell-e-o out of me!! I just watched your series Love love it! So I have an awful awful head cold and I am like ok as soon as I feel better I am going to get on the ball and do something… Its like saying I’m going to start a diet.. Tomorrow… lol
    So Id say Procrastination is my poison…
    I have so many “awesome” (ya you like that..lol) ideas I don’t even know where to begin.. So I will get started.. with a blog!!

<3 Mack

28. Kristy Stoner 5 months ago

Allison,
    I’ve followed you on insta for a while. I just love your infectious happy personality. So, I’ve been watching lots of your videos this afternoon and just watched one with (I’m assuming) your husband in it. And I’m pretty sure he went to highschool with me. Crazy small world! Well, you’re awesome! Thanks for the inspiration!

29. Heidi 5 months ago

I cannot tell you how much I needed this right now. Your advice on not sharing your ideas with the one who feels like they have to bring you back down to earth is literally an answer to my prayers. I have felt that sharing that part of me is necessary to strengthen our relationship– but have known deep down that it is only pushing me further away because I HATE for my dreams to be crushed, Ineed those dreams Dangit! they are vital for my motivation. Thank you SO much for sharing your wisdom. you’re saving lives here!

30. Elizabeth 5 months ago

Can following your blog and subscribing to your Awesome Series count as homework? — because I really feel like you are filling my well with an abundance of reassurance and inspiration right now! I am going to be SO freaking AWESOME!

31. Caroline R 2 months ago

I am playing catchup with the homework, but better late than never, am I right? ;-) Started a list of ways I poision my well, second item on it is: doing more research than doing,,, which is why I do the first: allow failure to prevent me from really trying! Coming up with the remedies ways is def that challenging part… Thank you for this series- you. are truly. awesome.

P.s. I used to get teased a lot for over using the word awesome, or maybe for the way I said it (apparently like a surfer dude- but I am from CA so surely I should be able to get away with it?) in any case I am officially in love with the word again thanks to you!

Alison Faulkner 2 months ago

AW thank you! I’m from san diego so I bet we both say it AWESOMELY! haha xo

32. Ashley 1 month ago

Alison, I’ve been following you on insta for awhile now and you are my favorite. I love your dance videos. But this is the first time I’ve actually checked out your blog. Can I just tell you how amazed I am. I often feel lost in where I should be in my life. I just watched your first 3 videos and really feel like I can find my gift and become more awesome. So, thank you for putting yourself out there and not being afraid to be you. You are a wonderful example to me and I’m sure so many others.

Alison Faulkner 1 month ago

aw thank you SO SO MUCH! I’m so glad you’re here! THANK you for watching and I’m SO happy that it was helpfuL! xo