How to be Awesome: Part 1

How to be Awesome: Part 1
February 17, 2014 Alison Faulkner

how-to-be-awesome-get-started
Hey! So I’ve wanted to do this video series for a while! It’s called HOW TO BE AWESOME!

Not because I think I’m awesome, as I’ve mentioned before I operate on like a 50/50 basis. 50% of the time I think I’m awesome and 50% of the time I think I’m like, worthless. So yeah, I wanted to start this series not because I think I’m awesome, but because I thought it would be nice to have a place to talk about what to do when you’re not feeling awesome. And ways to extract even more awesomeness from yourself.

I’m also using it as a place to broadly answer questions I get asked a lot, and share some experiences and insights I’ve gained working in this online world for the past 7+ years as a blogger and online seller and whatnot!

This is a video series, and I will be posting a new installment about twice a month. How to be Awesome: Part 1, is about: DON’T BE AFRAID TO GET STARTED!

In this video I share my humble beginnings getting started selling stationary online, and other horrible failures and how I turned those experiences of me crying hysterically into my pillow, into a nice little side business selling my leather baby mobiles.

I’m like, really, really nervous about posting this. I’m not sure entirely why. Maybe because I tear up like 10 times in it? Or it’s fairly personal? Or maybe just because it’s something new and people might think I’m SUCH an idiot for doing it?

I don’t know. Whatever the reason, I decided to take my own advice and just GET STARTED! I’m not entirely sure where it will go from here, so if you have ANY insight or suggestions or reactions WHATSOEVER, I would sincerely appreciate you sharing them.

But! I hope this video offers you some inspiration or at the very least, a tiny bit of entertainment, for your Monday!

Here’s to a great week!

1. Josie 3 years ago

alison, this is so, so, so amazing. i LOVE it. you’re amazing.

2. Josie 3 years ago

and i totally cried.

3. Chelsey Peace 3 years ago

Sage words friend. I’m gonna stop procrastinating and get started 🙂

4. Michael Wurm, Jr 3 years ago

I love this. Obviously. 🙂

5. Jess Prestwich 3 years ago

Love this!

6. Tanya 3 years ago

Oh, I cried….But this is what I needed today 🙂 Thank you so much for the encouragement and for the inspiration! You are so amazing!

HAHAHA obviously I couldn’t stop crying! so glad I’m not the only one!

7. Kelly Smtih 3 years ago

You totally make me feel like I can do anything. Thanks. It is scary getting started. But so necessary.

8. Bethany 3 years ago

You are so awesome. I would have bought a mobile pattern!! I love this!

9. Samantha Priddy 3 years ago

Alison, Thank you so much for sharing this! Super encouraging, especially during those times where you just want to quit!

10. Sara 3 years ago

I love this! I feel like I’m going through exactly what you experienced. Making patterns, expecting a huge hit… And nothing. This is so inspiring to me. I just recently started a blog and I’ve had my ups and downs with it. This video is gives me so much motivation to keep going. Thanks Alison!!

11. Britt 3 years ago

You are awesome!! This is video is just what I needed. And although I’m on the other side of the world, it felt like you where talking to me, directly. Superthanks!

12. katie krysil. 3 years ago

I loved this. I just recently started an Etsy because I realized that if I wanted to make something of my craftiness, I did just need to start. And start I did! Once I listed my stuff and spread the link, sure I didn’t sell anything, but at least people did recognize my efforts. And plus, it is an ego boost to at least see shop views increase daily, just because I started.

Can’t wait for the rest of this series. You are perfect.

13. alicia 3 years ago

Loooooooooooooooove it. Tip #1 is GOLD. You rock 🙂

14. Nikki 3 years ago

UMMM i think i love you. lets be friends.

15. Megan 3 years ago

That was fantastic! And I nearly cried but pulled it together. Thank you.

16. Mckenzie 3 years ago

You’re too cute. I think we’d be the craziest of friends in “real” life… You’re my kind of gal. I loved this. It’s neat to know how you got started. I know I emailed you awhile back asking this exact question: “Alison, how do I be awesome?” Of course I’m still struggling to figure that out but I took the first step, started my blog, started photographing… Now time will tell if this venture turns out to be “pony cards” or “leather mobiles” I am hoping the latter but you never know… Utah probably doesn’t need one more photographer, but it’s what I love, can’t help it. If you ever feel like giving a shout out, I hope you’ll think of me and my new blog the freckled faced mama. Love to you. So fun! Keep being awesome, maybe you’ll rub off on me

17. Steph whiting 3 years ago

Thanks for that! People love you because you are not afraid to be yourself!!! Maybe I should finally start an etsy store…

18. Sasha 3 years ago

Absolutely love this! I’m a fairly new follower and instantly loved you and now love you even more! You are totally awesome!! Thanks for this inspiration! Looking forward to the series!

Xo Sash

19. Clara 3 years ago

Brilliant! You are awesome & you bring so much fun & joy to me! Thank you Alison! I’m gonna be awesome from now on too!

20. r o y a l 3 years ago

I LOVE this! You are awesome! Aside from being drawn in by your personailty, I really liked your re-telling of your journey, success AND failure. I am trying to overcome a fear of failure so it’s nice to be reminding that it’s part of the journey even though it sucks.

Thank you so much! That’s so nice of you to say! I try to be engaging but you never know! hahaha

21. Kimmy 3 years ago

I think this is my favorite thing you’ve done. Love you

22. Anita 3 years ago

Oh my God, Congratulations on your awsomeness!!
    I can relate in the first ‘super high expectations’ fair participation,lol…. Saw myself in you! Thanks

23. Stephanie 3 years ago

This video made me laugh out loud and cry real tears, AND left me with a giant smile on my face! So looking forward to seeing more. You’re the best!

24. 🙂

This is sweet. Proud of the shout out to the triple ace beads and hemp life! Winners. And again you have a fantastic haircut and I need their name. You always find the good ones. XO

25. Heidi 3 years ago

Alison, you are the expert teacher for this…. because you ooze awesomeness! Thanks for the wise words.

26. Amber 3 years ago

I love this. You are amazing. This is such “doh!” advice, but it is definitely worth repeating over and over and over again!

27. Kat Green 3 years ago

Omigosh. I totally forgot until I watched this. I tried selling greeting cards too!! Mine had drawings of babies on them. Who knew I might actually have been sowing seeds of awesomeness? Two little baby boutiques actually agreed to sell them, but nothing came of it. It takes tons of starts for most of us– we’d better not be afraid of starting! Great video. Can’t wait for the next one.

28. Sara T 3 years ago

♥!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

29. Ashley So'oto 3 years ago

Thank you! This is the nudge that I needed. After I watched this, I wrecklessly took the plunge and launched my blog. It is far from perfect, but it’s a start. xoxo

30. HannahF 3 years ago

OMG Alison! I really needed that! I started a blog 2 years ago, and have done NOTHING with it since. Also, I have an event planning business that is a side hustle for me, but all my jobs are through word of mouth. Why? Because I never did a website or Instagram or Facebook or tweet all my gosh darn fabulous myriad of projects and events. And I’m pretty awesome. Thanks for inspiring me to get off my ASSCOT and get fearless!!! I love you, Alison and I was crying with you. Let’s get AWESOME together!!!

31. Garifalia 3 years ago

It’s not easy to wear your heart on your sleeve but you did, and you pinned it there with a tear in your a eye and a smile on your face. I’m also in the process of working on an etsy shop, so it’s good to hear the ups downs and all arounds. Thank you for being silly and inspiring! XO’s!

32. Rikki 3 years ago

And now we all equally remember why we love you. You are the best!

33. Ali K 3 years ago

you seriously make me laugh out loud every time i visit. My name is alison, too. With one “l”. Unite.

34. alexis 3 years ago

YES. I love you so much! I wanna be awesome with you!! 🙂

35. Delia 3 years ago

This is so what I needed today! I have been planning some stuff on my blog and been slowly making some things to sell but you’re right … I need to just do it NOW! thank you so much!! I totally love this series, I cant wait to see the next. thanks to you there is a new series up on my blog today for my little girl … her very own cooking shoe!

xoxo
    Delia

dressesanddirt.blogspot.com

36. Lynzy 3 years ago

I am sitting on the floor of my living room in my pajamas watching your video while my babies (1 & 2.5) crawl all over me. I have to keep hushing them so I don’t miss any awesome tips! The older one asked me why I was crying, and I told her “cause I’m learning how to be awesome!” Um, anyway, I really liked your video!

HAHAHAHA I love that scene! Thank you so so much!

37. Jinii Boren 3 years ago

This video makes me love you even more!! Love how real you are and that things don’t always work out perfectly the first time. My New Years resolution this year was to do the things that scare me. Some of them are so stupid but you know what after trying them they aren’t so bad!! Thanks for being awesome and sharing with all of us!!!

38. Kiley Whelchel 3 years ago

You go girl! So happy for all of your success & can’t wait to hear more! 🙂

39. ann 3 years ago

LOVE THIS! You are so great, thanks for going to all the work to help an unmotivated gal like myself get going!

40. Malorie 3 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your stories. We all learn so much from just starting things even if they aren’t overnight successes! Ahem, my Little Chap bow ties! (PS It made me so happy so see Rad in it! So cute.) I’m just grateful you have been so kind and supportive of them, I contacted just you because I felt like you would understand this world the most! And because I am afraid of widespread rejection. But I really should try and let that fear go and think more about how much I love the things I make! Thanks Alison!

41. Courtney 3 years ago

It’s because you were being vulnerable! Which is the higher way. You have no idea how long I have admired your blog and for you to admit that you met disappointments and failures soothed, comforted and empowered me.It told me to not give up–that it’s merely apart of the job description. But the one thing you said that I am going to, like, spray paint on the side of my wall is “Being Awesome is Being Fearless.” Thank you!

42. Emily 3 years ago

You are very inspiring and so open. It has taken me years to figure out that I need to stop waiting for everything to be perfect or because of fear of failure. I’m going to have my teenage daughter watch this so she can be inspired as well! You go girl:)
    Blessings!

THank you so much! That is so wonderful to hear! xo

43. Meredith 3 years ago

That video was freaking inspiring, girl! Not only are you and your blog awesome, but your message is as well. Thanks for being a shining light amidst all the icky shadows out there. You rock-keep on keepin’ on! xoxo

44. Olivia Berry 3 years ago

I really needed this. Thank you. I can’t wait to be awesome!

45. Kelly 3 years ago

Thank you. I would like to hug your video! You’re awesome!!

46. stellamarbella 3 years ago

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. Not really though, as much as I love Barney, I crumble into a ball instead. But I wish I would just stop being sad and be awesome. Thanks Alison! I love your show!

47. Lauren 3 years ago

I snorted cereal milk up my nose when you let loose the line “…my super successful Etsy shop for all those cards I was going to sell.” Priceless.

I remember a year ago this weekend, I was CRYING on my way to go skiing with a group of friends because my very second freelance client ever absolutely hated my work. One year later, I was approached by a national magazine to do some online articles for them. LIKE THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE READING MY WORDS!

What you said about things taking time is totally spot on. But I’m so glad I started last year and cried in the car then, than crying in the car today.

That said, I’m excited for more videos (even if there’s a little tearing up).

48. holy crappers you are rad. i loved every minute of this… alison, we sound pretty similar with the entrepreneurial love thing! before my cake biz (and subsequent blog), after i graduated from art school i started a “graphic design” business ( i use that term very loosely, haha!) and then ditched that to start a super 8 wedding film business (it was impossibly expensive to film and develop and i had to charge too much!) and then on to making cupcakes! when i started baking i began documenting all of my stuff… that was back in 2008. oh WAIT i also had a leather earrings jewelry biz, too! haha… oh and i had a business plan for an ice cream store. um… yeah. i really am a believer in just doing it, too – starting, taking a risk and putting yourself out there. try and fail and try again… continually learning and growing and trying! i’ve had many failures in my life! but have found something i love doing that combines a whole bunch of fun things like cakes and styling and photography and interacting with new pals..

anyway your video really resonated ! and you are THE CUTEST! and… the pony cards are totally sweet! xo

49. Emily Boyle 3 years ago

This is how far behind I am in my reader BUT I wanted to say that I think YOU are awesome for posting this and also just because. Thank you for sharing this. I’m sure it’s going to be a wonderful series. Keep on keepin’ on, my dear!

PS If you have a minute, my husband makes large wooden jacks that WE think are awesome. Maybe you will to? Who knows. https://www.etsy.com/shop/accordingtoboyle

50. Marielle 3 years ago

I loved this video!! finding someone who wasn’t afraid to be vulnerable it’s inspiring, I am going to start my project! this video was the sign I am so afraid no one is going to buy but then again Im so tired of not finding out. Thank you Alison.

51. Karen Gray 3 years ago

I pretty much love you! You rock. Loved this video and how authentic you are. ox

52. Holy crap… you cried so much that it created an ocean and a need for awesome-goggles!? I’ve read that sharks only attack awesomeness. That’s you homie. Thanks for your honesty. You are an inspiration dear. Don’t go a changin’. xo

53. Margie 3 years ago

You are amazing. I wish we were neighbours!

54. Hannah Teej 3 years ago

I love this. I’ve really been addressing my fear of failure and how much it’s limiting me. It’s awesome hearing you speak about your experiences.

Thanks! 🙂

Hannah

55. Sarah R 3 years ago

Okay, this is my first time on your blog (how?), but I clicked over from Instagram to watch this, and it is awesome! I love the idea of this series and will definitely be tuning in for more! Thanks for rocking it!

56. Brittany ratelle 3 years ago

This IS awesome. Thanks for sharing — as you have shared on your blog, evrything online is not curated, and styled, and beautiful — just like our lives and our work. I remember seeing your mobile patterns– they were soooo cute! I’m sorry I didn’t buy one — I was really close, actually. But, how cool are you to re-tool, evolve, whatever and use your experience to keep going forward. I love you. And you’re awesome.

57. kristal 3 years ago

Will it be ok for me to say, I love you! Everything you say speaks to me! All 3 videos are such and inspiration. I follow you on IG, but I don’t think I had ever been to your blog.Thank you for all of the advice. And thank you by setting the example of being awesome. I just filled up my well with all the positive energy and info you’ve given. I recently took up on sewing and I loved itn ao I decided to start a blog about what I make and what new things I find and learn, and I have found myself with a lot of negative inner thoughts of “you don’t know what you are doing” and “no one cares” and very scared of my writing because english is my secobd language and I am alway
    insecure about it. i hate fear stopping me from doing what i want, anf even though it doesnt stop me my negative thoughts just beat me up the whole time. Thank you for all the ideas and sharing your own story.

58. Ann 3 years ago

Wow… I’m in the middle of writing a blog post about “Starting Before You’re Ready” when I check my Pinterest account and see a link that says “How to Be Awesome, Part 1: Don’t Be Afraid to Get Started.” I thought that sounded like something I should read. Yep, exactly what I’m writing about. I think I’ll include a link to your video. Thanks so much for the encouragement! You’re awesome!

59. jacki 3 years ago

I posted #caughtbeingawesome and its contagious

60. Tami 3 years ago

Hello Alison! Thank you so much for sharing your journey. I stumbled upon your blog while researching..get this…how to get started! I needed a little (okay, a lot) boost of AWESOMENESS today and thank you for giving it. I keep starting my blog, starting my craft and stopping, but I just need to keep going and not be fearful that it may not be perfect. Your perseverance is awesome and now look…Your beautiful mobiles have been published in magazines. Simply AWESOME! Thank you again!
    PS – I need to work on my blog now…:)

that is so amazing! haha hooray and welcome!

61. Melissa Chwast 3 years ago

Thanks for the reality check and the encouragement 🙂 I feel Awsome

62. Marie Antoinette 3 years ago

I just started your how to be awesome series and your first video had me sold. You literally had me tearing up and feeling extremely motivated. I started my blog two years ago just as an online pregnancy journal and I’ve always wanted it to be more. Then I fell off the wagon not even one year in and I kept making excuses about starting up again. I want to stop making making excuses and start being awesome. Thank you so much!

63. Bunny White 3 years ago

I love, love, love this! I just found you because I finally got my feedly and pocket organized so I can catch up on the kabillion blogs I want to follow, and this series spoke to me. I, and clearly many others, really relate to all the high hopes we have for the little things we do – and the tears we shed when our expectations aren’t met. I’m in my 8th year – EIGHTH YEAR! – of my journey to have my own business and I’m just now getting my ‘ish together, writing that business plan, and starting my blog for realz. I never had an issue getting started, but I’ve had many starts, and the real key there has been not giving up because honestly, I have to do this – it’s who I am and my soul will not be happy or healthy if I settle for a regular job. So thank you for being so forthcoming, real, and encouraging!

thank you so much! I have no trouble getting started either! haha sometimes. a lot of the time it’s the follow through! thanks for the reminder!

64. Sadie 3 years ago

I freaking love you!! Just watched all the episodes. You rock!

65. Bora Choi 3 years ago

This is awesome. Ever since meeting you At the Thanksgiving point, I’ve been amazed at how humble, personable and fun you are!( Not to mention beautiful!) I’ve been completely inspired to start my own journey in what I want to do. This video rocks. I can’t wait to watch the rest of the series! I have the biggest girl crush on you. Not in a creepy way 😉

Aw thank you so so very much! That is so kind!

66. Victoria 2 years ago

67. Wiktoria 2 years ago

This is so inspiring Alison!!! Thank you :**** !!! I love that you shared that not everything you make is going to be a success and that this is ok 🙂 It’s the first video I watched. I’ve just discovered you today through Hilary Rushford and I’m so grateful for that. You’re awesome! Love form Barcelona

68. Andrea Ball 1 year ago

thank you for your vunerability. I really appreciated this video, a lot.