A 30-year-olds thoughts on how to survive middle school

A 30-year-olds thoughts on how to survive middle school

Screen shot 2014-01-13 at 4.05.58 PM
Yup, this is my 6th grade picture. I starred myself and gave myself that heart. Lots of self-love even way back then.

I was recently sent a very nice email from a 12-year-old girl who we’ll call C. She complimented my blog, told me I make her smile, and said I seemed like a very nice person, “from what I can tell.” Haha. This email was beyond flattering and it seriously made my day.

After the compliments, C. asked me a few questions, she even numbered them! This was question #2:

“How do I survive middle school?”

I loved this question so much, that I wrote an entire essay about it. You can read it here, it’s called:

Just Be Nice! And 4 Other Solid Pieces of Advice for Surviving Middle School

I hope you enjoy it, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on it.

How did YOU survive middle school?

1. kj 11 months ago

Hi! The link to your article doesn’t seem to be working D:

2. Jenny 11 months ago

The link still isn’t working for me, but I’d love to read your thoughts on this! Middle school is the worst.

3. alexis 11 months ago

I loved this so much!!! Read and commented on babble. xo

4. Kathy Green 11 months ago

Excellent advice for 65 year-olds too. Great piece of writing, Alison.

5. Kelly Smtih 11 months ago

I LOVED this! It is all so true!

6. Bethany 11 months ago

This post was AMAZING! Seriously. Also commented on Babble (though it’s not showing up), but I needed to tell you again. Hey, I’m mid/late 20s and think I need to take some of your advice in this. Brilliant and awesome.

7. Nikki 11 months ago

This describes my middle school/high school years perfectly! My mom’s words of advice back then were that no one will remember what happened today a month from now. That got me through middle school and high school but now with this social media that isn’t true anymore. It worries me–as a mom–that I won’t be able to say that to my own kids because it won’t be true anymore. I don’t look forward to the day when my kids come home crying because so-and-so put something on the Internet because it will exist forever. Even though we are a generation away from our kids, the world has changed soooo much. I’ve already started preparing my advice for my kids’ awkward (does anyone NOT have awkward middle school years?) teen and preteen years and be aware and be smart are definitely two of them.

Ps- I agree with “C”, you are awesome! Keep being amazing! I’m glad that there are real, normal, and amazing women like you for kids, teens, and (duh) adults to look up to! You’re such a cool role model!

8. Wendy 11 months ago

I could echo completely what Nikki said! And, I think your rules still apply today, even though I am a far cry from middle school. I think you are so real, and so hilarious, and shame one the person that made you cry on social media. Yay for Alison!

9. Carley 11 months ago

Oh man, I wish I would have read this in middle school! It really was the worst, I cried almost every day! Kids are the meanest! So glad middle school doesn’t determine the rest of your life ;) thanks for this! I will give this advice to my kids when their older!

10. Natalie 11 months ago

Oh middle school, I haven’t thought about those 2 crazy years for a little while. As shallow as it may sound, I made my mom shop until we dropped and I kept a outfit diary, no outfit was to be worn twice in one month. Then I started a bandana trend with Op shirts, and girls thanked me for it. Occasionally I would fake an illness at with the school nurse so I could go home. Alison I am hitting the hay, so I haven’t read your article yet but am really excited to read it tomorrow.

11. Carly 11 months ago

Love this. Favorite middle school comment made to me was “Would you wear shoes if you didn’t have feet”…. I didn’t get it then. Hahaha. Worst years ever. Loved your advice. That’s what I keep telling my 17 year old sister, and my 4 year old daughter. Just be nice!

12. big thumbs up… that girl sounds like the cutest thing ever and I’m going to bookmark your Babble post to have my daughter read in a couple years!

13. Jinii 11 months ago

Amen!!! Loved this article so much. I really wish I knew all of these things in Jr high and High School and even now! Such great things to remember and teach our kids!

14. C 11 months ago

This is about the most amazing thing ever- I keep going back and rereading it every few days, and it always improves my day!