Step-by-Step Witch Crash Tutorial

Step-by-Step Witch Crash Tutorial

Ok, ok, I am a total liar. I seriously THOUGHT I had shared my actual tutorial for my glam witch crash that I made 2 years ago! But no, I just took all the pictures for the tutorial, and never posted them. So hang in there with me, these pictures are 2 years old, and I’ve gotten a bit better since then. BUT! The witch has lasted for 2 years now, so you can make her with confidence that she’ll last! I came up with this, what we’ll call “procedure” like out of the blue. So it might be a bit scrappy, but it sure does the trick and it will cost you probably around $20 or so. Which really, isn’t bad for a craft like this.

So without further ado, I give you, for real this time, not for fakes, my Step by Step Glam Witch Crash Tutorial:

DIY Glam Witch Crash Tutorial

Get the full ditty!

1. Round laundry basket from a dollar store, you want one that’s really light weight and 20″ or so round on the bottom, I don’t know EXACTLY but kinda like that ok!
2. 2 yards green tulle or mesh netting (for the witches skirt) mine came in a roll in the holiday supply section at Joanne’s
3. 1/2 yard fabric for witch’s bloomers
4. 1-2 yards of sheer black fabric for witch’s skirt
5. A pair of black and white striped tights (they have these at craft stores and Halloween supply stores)
6. 4 sheets of glitter foam (for shoes, mine are purple plus a little black for the taps on the bottom of the witches shoes)
7. 2 36″ dowels or sticks
8. Wire, zip ties or heavy twine
9. A poster board size foam core, mine is white but black makes more sense now…
10. Some stuffing for the witch’s legs
11. A hot glue gun, duh
12. Sewing machine optional
13. A stick for the broom, I took one off a tree I think…and some twigs or sticks for the brush part. Look around the fake floral section at the craft store. Or you could use straw. Or an actual broom I guess…hello!

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.37.22 PM

So, here’s my laundry basket. I placed it on a piece of foam board, and cut a circle so that the foam board was like about the same circumference as the wide part of the laundry basket. It doesn’t really matter what size it is, it’s all relative people.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.37.44 PM

Choose a sheer fabric for the witches skirt, this way you don’t have to hem it and it will lay better. I hot glued the black fabric around the bottom of my foam board circle.  I maybe did 2 or 3 layers to give the skirt body.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.38.02 PM

I liked this netting I found in the Halloween supply section at the craft store, but tulle would work too. I started by stuffing and hot gluing a few layers on the inside of the basket…

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.38.08 PM

And then moved the the outside of the basket.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.38.18 PM

I just like stuffed the crap out of it into the little holes. Haha, I used hot glue too, you could totally make this nice and neat and use some yarn and stitch it in place. But you guys, I’m like a renegade crafter. I’m so hard core.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.38.48 PM

I think what I did here is I tried to glue the bottom of the laundry basket to the foam core board, but it didn’t work. I slipped the basket inside the black skirt, if you can see that.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.39.12 PM

Here’s a better picture of that before I had the green stuff in there.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.39.26 PM

So what I ended up doing was using some embroidery floss and a big needle to stitch through the foam board and the holes in the laundry basket. You just need at attach the basket to the board. The stitching KIND OF worked, but some zip ties or wire is a better idea. Last year I went through with some wire (like some from the jewelry section or floral wire will work) and secured things.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.39.36 PM

Here’s what she looks like sans legs.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.39.51 PM

I’m crafting at night now! Yes, you can see my soda cup too. My desk looks about the same 2 years later…anyway I put one stick in each leg of the tights. I didn’t cut the tights or anything. Then I pushed fiber-fil stuffing around the dowels.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.40.02 PM

As you can see, I didn’t stuff the WHOLE leg, because they would have been too long for my witch. So you should use the sticks to measure before putting them in the tights, and determine how far you want her witchy legs to stick out.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.40.14 PM

Then I made two little bloomer legs for my witch. I hemmed like a sleeve of fabric that would fit around her thigh. If you don’t sew you could just hot glue the hem. I’m not giving you measurements, because again, it’s all relative. Depending on how thick the legs are, how long they are. But I have faith in you, you can DO THIS!

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.40.20 PM

Then I shimmied the bloomer up around her thigh…hahahaha this seems so dirty. And I used matching thread to tie off what would be the elastic part of the bloomers, if these were functioning bloomers.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 9.32.58 PM

To attach the legs to the basket I used wire again. I just wrapped the wire around the leg and through two holes in the laundry basket. And twisted them off. I did it more to the side of the basket, but you just have to kind of play with them to get them how you want them. Then you want to stuff some more tulle between her legs…ha…so you can’t see the basket or up her skirt.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.40.44 PM

Here’s the broom I constructed by tying twigs to a stick.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 9.33.09 PM

I attached the broom the same way I attached the legs. I really think zip-ties would be awesome. You should try them. Haha.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 8.41.05 PM

And here’s like how I made the shoes. I used the pink and silver here to kind of show the shape of the pieces I figured out. I’d like to give you a stencil but I just don’t have the time at this moment and I think you can figure it out just looking at a shoe! I swear you can. For her heels I just made a little tube and glued a circle of black on the bottom for the taps.

Screen shot 2013-09-22 at 9.25.56 PM

To attach the shoe to the leg use hot glue. You can’t use real shoes because they are too heavy. I tried. But you could use like slippers maybe! Or socks, and stuff them in a foot shape, if you don’t want to make these glittery shoes.

UPDATE! I’ve found these things while out and about this Halloween and these would work well for shoes as well:

Ruby slipper shoe covers
Witch shoe covers
Faux Legs

DIY Glam witch crash tutorial

To hang the witch I used some of the wire that was sticking out on the back of the foam core. Then I tied some string to it, and used that to hang her. Like I said, this isn’t scientific, but she’s lasted Fall storms and two Halloweens of trick or treaters, so I’m not messing with it! Questions?! Let me know. I’ll do what I can to help you out! The kids in the neighborhood love my witch. And I love her too!

And I love you. Oh my gosh, there is so much love right now!

You know I’m like usually so specific with my tutorials, so this one is kind of hysterical. But I really want a lot of glam witches all around this country…so let’s do it!

1. Gillian 3 years ago

For someone who might put Halloween next to Christmas (might!) I love it! I found your blog from the great big wide world of Instagram!
    Is it weird to start following random strangers when you havnt got around to following people you actually know! Hah! Anyhoo… your style and ideas. :) I know what I’m making this weekend!

2. Alma 3 years ago

You are a RIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMgee….this was great…I think I need a cigarette now. HAAAHAHAHAHA!!! Keep em coming GF!!! <3

3. Ruth 3 years ago

In this crazy ride of internet surfing, I don’t know how I wound up on your site. It is absolutely fabulous!
    Built well,
    Unique, and
    Thank you for all your hard work.

4. Barb Delaney 3 years ago

another good one, I am going to try it.

5. Brenda 3 years ago

The shoes look a bit confusing to me!

6. Cristin 3 years ago

LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!! HA! SO FREAKIN FUN!!!!!!!

7. Barbie 3 years ago

Love it… Since Halloween is my favorite Holiday I want to try this….

8. Cynthia 3 years ago

I love it! I will be making one for this Halloween! Thanks!

9. Mary 2 years ago

Oh this is sooooooooooo hilarious I can’t stop laughing… There’s an inside joke here in my little town I’m always asked where’s my broom… and actually it is turbo powered with dual exhaust… oh and it is pink…hahahahahahaha…

10. Olivia 2 years ago

Cute, but, you might want to re-think the broom placement! The broom should be on the outside of her skirt if she’s sitting upon it as if flying. With the broom sticking out of her skirt, erm, the only place for it to be is up her A-HEM. ;)

HAHAHAHA that’s a really good point, it wouldn’t work logistically with the basket I don’t think, so I guess we’ll have to keep our dirty little witch.

11. anikenitet 2 years ago

So funny !! I love it !! It’s great !! Thanks for the pattern !! Have a good evening !

12. Karen 2 years ago

So cute! I hope it’s ok that I linked this page to my NotSoScaryHalloweenforKids Crashing Witches page.

13. trishaoo 2 years ago

Hi loved the basket idea i made a flat crashed witch once with a witch hat i used a pool noodle cut in half for legs i added black electric tape for stripes on legs i wish i would have thought of your shoes i used black duct tape and newspaper to shape shoe i then used. A plastic dollar store table cover for cape and a dollar store head band with hair on it. And cheap dollar store witch hat i then poked holes through legs to thread string. Through legs and stapled that to tree then covered with cape hair hat stapled all to tree with leftover table cloth i fashioned sleeves added stuffed gloves and a broom done love yours wanna try it ty

14. Nancy Maxam 2 years ago

I just wanted to let you know how wonderful I think your 1/2 witch is. I never post on anything, like never!! This is my first and probably my last time. But I love Halloween (don’t tell my grand kids) even more than Christmas and I love your ideal and your post!!! Please keep the great ideals coming (no pressure) but really keep them coming.

AW thank you so so much! I really appreciate it!

15. Joyce Baker 1 year ago

My husband crashed my little sports car (no he’ll never drive this one I have now!!) so I put a flat crashing witch on the impact side, using a hat and other stuff. It was hilarious and everyone who passed by just laughed and laughed. We also put Santa on the motorcycle at Christmas time with his hand in the air waving. That too gets lots of laughs. While we are outside constructing it people go by honking and waving. The secret to life is to laugh– no matter what. It’s cheaper than going to a Dr. !!

16. Joyce 1 year ago

I really love your witch. I happen to have all the materials so will be making one of yours. So so cute . I too love Halloween so this is a must do project. I can’t wait to get started. I’ve never posted anything before but this is just too precious to pass up.

17. Brenda 3 months ago

CONGRATS! Found your tutorial on the Country Living Magazine website as #2 of 30 Halloween Wreaths! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

18. Theresa 1 month ago

Saw a pic of this on pinterest last year, so I had a go at making one. Then low and behold somehow I end up on the tutorial site. It would have been alot easier to find this last year when I really needed it. Alison this was great and the neighbourhood really loved it. Thanx for the tut (even if i did find it 12 months too late lol ) but really great and loved the idea… now in the midst of making the kids simpler wreaths for this halloween. Gonna be looking out for more ideas from you enjoyed making this one sooo much

Alison Faulkner 1 month ago

haha AW!!! love that you made one though! mine is looking a little weathered, I think I need an upgrade this year!! xo

19. Summer 2 weeks ago

That’s very cute. I’m trying to figure out what the shoes are made of? Did you cut styrofoam and cover it with the glitter foam?? I didn’t see styrofoam on the materials list so I’m a bit confused. What did you make the tubes from?

20. Summer 2 weeks ago

Cute cute. Did you make the shoes from styrofoam? I didn’t see it on the material list so I’m a bit confused. And what did you make the tube from?