Gigi’s Puppet Party

Gigi’s Puppet Party

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.50.43 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.13.15 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.51.01 PM

OOOOOOK! Here they are! The puppet party pictures! I am so excited to share them with you, and a big thank you to the beautiful Heather Mildenstein for always taking fabulous pictures! Hop through for more party pictures than you want or need!

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.51.14 PM

I wanted to make a whimsical and fun cake for my little 3-year-old. I didn’t stress over getting the icing PERFECT or even just how I was going to decorate it. I bought the plastic flowers and just kind of went from there.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.51.30 PM

Ginger picked out her boots, and absolutely LOVED this giant balloon. I made her name sign, and the “Puppet Party” banners using letters I got at Zurchers. I’m having a hard time finding something equivalent online for you, I think that link is something similar. I bought the letters individually and they were like .30 cents each. You attach them with brads and they come in tons of colors!

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.51.48 PM

I printed out tiny Gigi puppets and put them in cupcakes using these cute treat sticks. This exact cupcake was requested by the birthday girl. They served similar cupcakes at her uncle’s wedding, and every time I turned around she was holding (what I thought was the same) lemon cupcake with the icing licked off. However, a few hours into the reception people kept telling me, “You know that’s her 4th cupcake…” or something like that. I HAD NO IDEA. Finally I asked Eric and he said, “Oh, it’s probably her 10th, she keeps licking off the icing, eating the lemon drop and then taking another one.” Ugh. Thanks dad. The baking cups are here, you bake the cupcake with a regular cupcake liner THEN drop them in the cup before icing them.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.52.06 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.52.31 PM

I loved these bottles, so I filled them with Crystal Light and taped straws on with washi tape. Just like I did with the spoons on the cups at this baby shower. The finger puppets are from Ikea. The kids got to take their juice and a little container of treats to watch the puppet show on the lawn.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.53.00 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.53.13 PM

The kids ADORED playing with this theater! I’ll post more info later about the puppets I made to go in it!

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.53.25 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.54.17 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.54.33 PM

The cute black and white garland, as well as the black and white plates and napkins, are all from Martha Stewart Celebrations.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.54.47 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.55.06 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.55.26 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.56.05 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.56.14 PM

The clear treat jars are plastic, which is really nice for parties, and they are also from Martha Stewart Celebrations. The rose napkins and little mugs are from Ikea. I basically just rummaged through my house looking for things that would fit the color scheme! I didn’t go out and buy a whole bunch of special stuff or think about the exact placement of the table stuff too hard. In fact I hated the table until I was all the way done with it. Haha.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.56.24 PM

When the guests arrived I sent them outside to enjoy $5 pizzas. I gave them each a puppet and let them go wild in my DIY Puppet theater, as well as the theater that the puppet lady had set up! She lives in my neighborhood and has her own puppet show thing! Ha.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.57.02 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.57.12 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.57.30 PM

Seeing the kids play with the puppets I made and truly having a blast honestly made me happier than almost anything.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.08.37 PM

Before the puppet show began I let the kids come inside and I filled up treat boxes with some candy. They liked waiting in line and pointing to the jars with their candy orders.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.58.09 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.58.25 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.58.44 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.59.11 PM

The kids DIED over the puppet show. It lasted about 30-40 minutes and they were totally MESMERIZED. They laughed, they gasped, they didn’t run around or get restless. They were totally enthralled. I could NOT believe it.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 8.59.25 PM

And this picture just brings tears to my eyes. HAHA Sappy mama. But look how happy she is!

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.00.13 PM

It was honestly the most perfect activity. After the show we came back inside. I covered my couch with blankets and let the kids eat cake in the living room while we watched Gigi open her gifts.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.00.33 PM

Gigi LOVED being sang too. She usually gets a bit timid and shy in big group settings, but when we all sang to her she lit up. She was such a perfect birthday girl! She said thank you for her gifts and gave hugs and kisses on command. I know that might not be a big deal for other kids, but for this girl, a tantrum and tear-free party was more than I could have hoped for.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.00.49 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.01.04 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.01.16 PM

I let her have a cupcake AND cake. Haha. She licked the frosting clean.

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.01.42 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.02.00 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.02.19 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-29 at 9.02.34 PM

My mom followed me around the entire day cleaning up after me and helping me set up. She’s amazing and I love her and she made the day one million times better.

It was a perfect little party and I loved doing it SO much.

I get so excited about planning parties that I get like this sick high from it. Then I crash SUPER SUPER hard for 3 or so days after it’s all over. I get depressed, sad, and can hardly bring myself to do much of anything. Haha, so don’t for 3 seconds feel like “less of a parent” if you don’t go to this much trouble to throw a party. Because you’re probably a much better balanced person than I am. Haha, I thought I’d just throw that in there to keep it real. Ok?

Lots of love party people!

1. courtney 1 year ago

This party looks totally awesome! Seriously, you rock at all those tiny details, and I love the colors. I think my 5 year-old daughter and Gigi are cut from the same cloth. God bless their fiery little souls.

2. MELISSA 1 year ago

I seriously just shed a tear at the picture of you and her hugging after she blew her candles out….that picture needs to be in a frame! What a fantastic party idea & well done momma!

3. Cristin 1 year ago

How fun! You are so COOL! I love this theme and all the details, thanks for sharing!! =)

4. Faith 1 year ago

Such an adorable party! A puppet show is such a brilliant idea! I am the same way with my love for party planning. It never fails that I am out of commission for almost the whole next week. I have to take a few days to recover and slowly merge back into real life. But I love putting together a party!!

5. Just. Can’t. Take. It. This party is SO adorable, Alison! The puppets, and that cake, and those Gigi cupcake toppers! AMAZING! Love the colors too.

6. Jessica 1 year ago

Her sweet smiles made all the hardwork perfect. What an original party idea. So kid friendly and entertaining. Way to go!

7. Elisa 1 year ago

So many brilliant ideas! I love the puppet show on the lawn and those finger puppet favors are completely adorable!

8. Sharon 1 year ago

What does it say about me that I crash for 3 days after just READING about your parties! Good job Mama! You are amazing!!!

9. Nicole 1 year ago

Gigi, you may not realize it now but your momma is pretty awesome! I mean the cake!! Seriously, it’s perfection! You should give yourself a huge pat on the back (or take a long nap) you deserve it! You go Alison!!! Everything looks wicked cute :-)

10. Oh my gosh! What a fantastic idea for a party! I would never have even thought to have a puppet party with real live puppet theater to entertain (and manage!) the little ones! YOU. ARE. BRILLIANT. And sweet Ginger Jane…what a cutie. Looks like you both had a much better time this year ;) So glad you got that hug in pictures. Priceless.

11. kimmy 1 year ago

best party in town. seriously, it was perfect. So glad we got to be a part of the action.

12. Alicia 1 year ago

So my 30th Birthday is in a couple weeks. Feel free to throw me a puppet party or any party your heart desires, you have my permission! Lol fantastic party! Scrumptiously beautiful looking cake!

13. Talia Graff 1 year ago

LOVE This!!!! What recipes did you use for the cake and cupcakes?!

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

I usually ALWAYS use recipes from sweetapolita for my cakes! and the cupcake I use recipes from 101 gourmet cupcakes in 10 minutes or less! xo

14. Hannah F 1 year ago

OM GEEZIE I loves it! My niece is turning 2 and I’m doing circus or carnival theme. These puppets are fab. I would love to use them at her party! Any template or tutorial for creating the puppets? Thanks for inspiring!

15. Veronique 1 year ago

Wow! You have truely outdone yourself! It looked amazing! The best picture of all is the one of Gigi soooo happy and the one of you both hugging!! It really should how much she appreciated it!

16. Mom 1 year ago

I had a blast! It was party perfection.

17. Anne 1 year ago

I can’t get over that cake. Amazing.

18. Stephanie Whiting 1 year ago

Beautiful party!! I need you to send some of your party planning excitement my way! I’ve got two coming up…

19. Courtney 1 year ago

It all comes together when you do it with love! Such a precious party – that picture of Gigi with her face all lit up is just priceless. Good job, Mama. Love your blog.

20. Sarah 1 year ago

This is just the cutest thing! I love the cake. You must have spent hours clipping out all those little gigi photos for the cupcakes, now thats commitment!

21. Lindsay 1 year ago

Amazing!! You are a party throwing queen! WOW. Everything looked beautiful and you girls are just too cute.

22. Emily Boyle 1 year ago

1) You are a super humanoid. 2) I love you. 3) I want you to throw my next birthday party. I’d settle for an invite to the next one you throw but I’d have to magically be transported across the country somehow. Schnarf. I’ll have to get to working on that.

This is so special and I’m sure Gigi will remember it the rest of her life! You are building wonderful childhood memories for her!

Emily

23. oh my gosh so much sweetness and joy in this beautiful party! gigi looked sooo happy and excited! i love how mesmerized the kids were with the puppet show… and um, hilarious… what a sweet little lemon cupcake icing and lemon drop lover!

i totally know what you mean about post-party depression. after my little boy’s 1st birthday (and it was nowhere near as bonkers cray-mazing as this puppet party!) i was in a real post-party funk! congratulations mama, everything looked so fun and creative and best of all , gigi had a BLAST! xo

24. Jenny D 8 months ago

Thank you thank you thank you. I was all over the place trying to figure out a loose theme for my daughter’s 3rd birthday party. I really want to do a bento party, but I think the kids just aren’t quite ready to appreciate the beauty of bento — and the amount of work it would take me to pull it off the way I would want to.

Thanks to you, I have tabled bento for a later birthday, and am going full-on puppet. It’s a theme that isn’t too girlish, so the boys in attendance will not feel like imposters at some secret tutu club; the decor and goodie bags will be easy and will not make the parents hate me for sending their kids home with useless crap; and the CAKE!!! That cake you made for your daughter was the best cake I have seen yet. The cake topper puppet with brads in the legs and arms seal the deal. Thank you again. :)

25. omelia 7 months ago

so inspiring! and i’m not even a mom =) thanks for posting. i love the cake especially but don’t know where to start to make something like that? do you have a recipe you don’t mind sharing? =)

26. omelia 7 months ago

oh dear sorry i just now read your comment about sweetapolita. never mind =) the name of this cake? thanks much.

27. claire summey 7 months ago

would love to have the cake recipe. Thanks

• Melinda 5 months ago

I would love to have the recipe for your cake and frosting. Simply Beautiful