DIY Puppet Theater with Interchangeable Backgrounds

DIY Puppet Theater with Interchangeable Backgrounds

DIY puppet theater
Last week we had Ginger’s Puppet Party for her 3rd birthday, and I’m happy to say it was a total smash! The kids, with ages ranging from 2-6, LOVED playing with my DIY Puppet Theater. I wasn’t surprised though, because Ginger and every other child who entered our house leading up to the party, pretty much freaked out over it and begged for a puppet show.

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 3.14.32 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 3.36.06 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 3.37.36 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 3.37.59 PM

To create my puppet theater and the interchangeable backgrounds I partnered with Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape, be sure to visit ScotchDuctTape.com to learn more.

I LOVED working with Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape! It was like, oddly therapeutic. Haha. Using the tape was so much easier than trying to paint the backgrounds or the puppet theater. This is a really inexpensive and fun craft to make, and I think it’s perfect for the cold months that are right around the corner, not just for a birthday party or special event.

I was able to work with the talented Jenner Brown to make a little how to video! My fist video since the birth of Mr. Rad! Check it out!

For my details on the how-to hop through!

create-your-theater
Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.56.33 PM

I used the Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape to cover up the green and red lines on my Ikea Market Stand.

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.56.46 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.57.05 PM

This could be done BEFORE you assemble the Market Stand, and it would probably be easier. Ha.

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.58.50 PM

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.59.43 PM

Then I created scenes for the puppets to interact with using a 22×28″ poster board and more tape!

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.57.43 PM

Then I used some adhesive velcro on the front of my scenes and the back of puppet theater, so that the scenes are easily interchangeable. You can get this velcro almost anywhere!

velcro

Then sit back, relax, and let your 3-year-old entertain you!

Screen shot 2013-09-23 at 5.58.07 PM

Any questions!? Let me know!

I’ll be posting more pictures of the puppet party and more info on the puppets ASAP!

Until then, happy taping!

To see more creative projects, visit www.ScotchDuctTape.com

This post is a collaboration with Scotch Colors and Patterns Duct Tape. To see more creative projects, visit www.ScotchDuctTape.com.

And be sure to visit them on Facebook, Twitter Page, and Pinterest for more fun ideas!

1. Melanie 1 year ago

This is so GREAT! I wish we had an ikea closer! You have mad skills with duct tape, girl. And can I just say, you look FABULOUS! My Avery turns 3 next Monday, she would totally dig this puppet theater. Thanks for the idea!

2. CHELSEY 1 year ago

Adorable as always & such a good idea for the littles party! Love your blog!

3. Abby Patterson 1 year ago

Your so talented! I would have never thought to cut out duct tape with an exato knife! You have the wheels turning.

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

Haha thank you! Yes! It opens it up, right?!

4. Elisa 1 year ago

Love the curtains! Ok, so I love everything really, and it doesn’t get any easier than using tape!!

5. Tammy 1 year ago

Awe I love it, makes me truly appreciate the amount of work my brother-in-law puts into his puppets and the Rapunzel puppet theater sitting in my garage. If only I had an artistic bone in my body that did not involve food!

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

Oh man! That’s awesome. Haha but the artistic food bone is not a bad bone…

6. Melissa Haupy 1 year ago

This is so darling! I just need to decide whether ill put it in my living room or make my husband create an addition on our (tiny) (…old) (…but charming!) house to house the theater;)
    Also, I must ask where you got the GLORIOUS GIANT BASKET!? I’ve been on the hint for the very thing.
    Thx! Love reading!!
    Melissa Haupt

• Melissa Haupy 1 year ago

Mmmmk found it on your insta:) Love you! Thx! Bye.

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

GOOD detective work! yup, it’s West Elm.

7. Ashley Rogers 1 year ago

So cute! I want to make this for my kids for Christmas

8. Laura 11 months ago

Thank you!!! My son is three and doesn’t have a clue what he wants for Christmas. I thought a puppet theater would be awesome since he LOVES puppets. I looked online and they are so expensive! BUT…we can totally do this. Thank you so much!