Tiny Harem Pants Sewing Pattern

Tiny Harem Pants Sewing Pattern

tiny harem pants sewing pattern
Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 9.55.31 PM
Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 9.56.07 PM

Um, so yeah. This could possibly be the cutest thing that has ever happened on The Alison Show. Or on the planet. Ever. I can’t even handle it. Or this!

Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 9.51.26 PM
Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 9.51.50 PM

I decided Mr. Rad needed some tiny pants that ACTUALLY fit him. For some reason you can find newborn and 0-3 month onesies that fit a tiny man, but you cannot find pants that fit! Or at least I couldn’t. So I used some material I had on hand, drew myself a little pattern, and whipped these suckers up. They were so easy I thought I’d share the pattern with you!

The teal material is one I made a while ago. I printed that pattern on there using my Gocco screen printer. I had just a few scraps left, so this was a fun way to use it! The black onesie is one I dyed, I didn’t get the dye as even as I would have liked, but, meh, he still looks adorable in it!

Read on for the full tutorial!

This pattern is size 0-3 months, but you could easily size it up by comparing it to some leggings you have for your child, and adding the needed length or width. Just keep in mind that you add length with the waist and ankle bands as well. And you will want to make the ankle and waist bands bigger. Again, use your child’s clothes for a good size estimate.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE PATTERN

tiny-harem-pants

TINY HAREM PANTS SEWING INSTRUCTIONS:

1. Cut two pant pieces on the fold of some knit fabric. You could use an old skirt or t-shirt that has stretch. Read more about appropriate materials under the section that says, “Let’s talk about fabric” on my tiny t tutorial, found here.

For the waist and ankle bands you will need some ribbing. If your fabric is super stretchy, you could use the same fabric you’re using for your pants. But ribbing is especially stretchy. You find this at the fabric store, just ask one of the nice ladies. It’s not super cheap, but you only need to buy 1/8 yard and it will last you for a while! If you’re confused about what this is think of the bottom of a sweatshirt…that super stretchy fabric. That’s ribbing. As you can see I started the teal pants with some white knit fabric, but it wasn’t stretchy enough so I had to change to the gray ribbing. If your fabric isn’t REALLY stretchy the pants won’t go over your babe’s bum!

Knit fabric is always stretchier in one direction. When cutting the pant legs and the bands, make sure the stretchiest direction is placed so it will go the width of the body. So, in other words, make sure the fabric is stretchiest around the bum and the waist and the ankles. Catch my drift?

2. Place the two pant pieces RIGHT sides together and sew the two sides and the crotch. Turn the pants right side out.

3. For the waist band I cut a piece of ribbing 11″ (11 inches with the stretch) long and 4″ wide. Then you fold it in half.

For the ankle bands I cut two pieces that were 4×4 inches. Then you fold it them half.

That’s a picture of the waist band folded in half as you would place it on the pants.

4. Unfold the band and then fold it RIGHT sides together the other way, and sew a seam.

5. Now fold the band half (the same way you did the first time) and the seam you just sewed will be sandwiched in the band, and it should be a stretchy little circle.

6. Use pins to section off the top of the pants into 4 sections and the bottom (the side that DOES NOT have the fold) of the waistband into 4 sections. I like the use the seam on the waist band to indicate the back center. Slide the waistband on around the top of the pants and pin in place as shown.

7. Using a large zig-zag stitch sew the band to the pants. Make sure you are catching all three layers of fabric (the two on the waist band and the one of the pants). The band is shorter than the pants, so pull the waistband as you sew, stretching it to match the length of the top of the pants. Picture 7 is what the top will look like when you are done sewing.

8. Flip up the waist band. You’re done with that! Now repeat this process for the ankles.

If you are confused about how to attach the ribbing, my tiny t tutorial shows even more pictures of the same process, but I promise it will make sense as you do it!

I love how Rad looks like a little wrestler in them without his shirt on. I DIE.

Screen shot 2013-05-12 at 11.03.32 PM

I can’t wait to see what you make! These would also whip up as great baby gifts. I have like 4 more pairs I want to make!

Happy crafting!!

xo,

1. mandie 1 year ago

I LOVE these! We’re not finding out what we’re having, so it’s tricky to find sewing projects for this babe, but I think that these pants are just the thing to satisfy!! And they look simple enough that I could even make a few pairs of gender specific and then give away as gifts depending on if we have a little he or she. :)

THanks for sharing Alison! This is happening for sure. :)

2. Grace 1 year ago

Well these are just adorable!

3. Joanna 1 year ago

New follower from England! These are PERFECT for my friend who is 7 months pregnant with a little boy. Sewing machine coming out right now! Thanks so much for sharing the pattern :-)

4. Disney 1 year ago

I love these, Alison! I love how his diaper fills them out on top. So. Cute. I totally need to make some for Paige!

5. Hannah F 1 year ago

Alison, so cute I really really heart these. Too bad my niece is now 13 months. Thanks for sharing all these cute pics of your new muse!

6. Connie C. 1 year ago

You totally NAILED IT. Why is it so hard to find newborn pants? Cute newborn pants? Especially cute BOY newborn pants? I’ll definitely be making these for our new bambino…. thank you for the awesome tute, Alison! (And Baby Rad is so super-cute!!)

7. Tabatha 1 year ago

Oh that is so so cute!!!! I wanna make it but my last baby is 3yrs old now! Absoutley so cute and wonderful idea them pants!!!!

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

thank you! I’m going to make some for my almost 3 year old so I’ll post the larger size soon! xo

8. Stephanie 1 year ago

LOVE THIS! I was always looking for something to make for my boys but could only find girl DIY clothing. This is perfect! Can’t wait to make some as gifts. Thanks for sharing!

9. Cassandra 1 year ago

Sew cute! and SOOOO easy!!! I whipped up my first pair this week, using an old knit top. I blogged about it here, if you’d like to have a look :)

Thanks so much for sharing xo

10. Vicki Stoner 1 year ago

Hi – thanks for the pattern. I just increased it to 160% for my 12 month old but I found that the inseam hitched up a lot.

I am wondering if this is a side effect of me enlarging the pattern or whether it is a fit issue for a walking baby (compared to the typically lying, crawling, sitting baby)?

Have you made these in larger sizes and if so did you experience any hitching up of the inseam? Does the inseam hitch on the 0 – 3 month size?

Thanks

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

Hey! I’m not totally sure what you mean by “hitch” but if you mean fit closer to the crotch, then yes, they do, mostly because of the diaper and its ratio to the tiny little newborn body! I haven’t made them in a larger size yet but I do plan on dropping the crotch! I don’t think just enlarging it would work just right. I’d say the best thing to do is to compare it to a pair of your child’s pants that fit now! then dropping the crotch from there

11. Kat 1 year ago

Trying these today for my 5 mos old grandson. I cut them a little bigger so I hope it works!

12. Erica 1 year ago

Absolutely in love with this pattern and can’t thank you enough, I’ve been making lots and lots for my own babe and friends

Did you have success in making them for your 3yr old? Would love to see a larger size pattern too

Alison Faulkner 1 year ago

I haven’t made them yet! BUt I will keep you posted! Thanks!

13. Joann 1 year ago

G’day from Australia, just thought I’d take the time to thank you for sharing your cute little pattern free of charge …very nice of you, blessings! :)

14. siebenhundertsachen 9 months ago

Dear Alison,
    I love this pattern and I have now made about a dozen of these pants for my little son, who is now 8 months old. As I have scaled and redrafted the pattern in 5 different sizes now, I have published a Tutorial for larger sizes (with sewing instructions in German for those who need a translation) on my blog. Of course I have given credit to you in both the article and the Tutorial. Hope this is fine ! Thanks a lot for sharing this cute and easy pattern!

This is the link to my adaptation of the pattern. I normally sew them double-layered. http://wp.me/p1ClNY-1hZ

Love,
    Hannah

15. Lovely Beadwork 7 months ago

Thank you for the great pattern en tutorial! I have made 4 harem newborn pants. Its really nice to make.

If you’re curious about the results, here is a picture: http://www.zwangerschapspagina.nl/attachments/de-babyuitzet/386598d1396359498-wie-heeft-veel-genaaid-voor-de-babyuitzet-img_2686_klein.jpg

16. Meg 6 months ago

Lovely!!
    I would love to download the pattern. But the file I requested is not available ;(

17. mo 6 months ago

hej,

i LOVE it, but the download does not work for me, can you pleeeeease repair it?

thx so much, mo

18. serpiente 6 months ago

Thank you for lovely pattern!!!
    I made 3 pants for my 5-months-old baby.

19. Dúnia 5 months ago

Thanks for the patterns. It could be great that everybody do it! Thanks!

20. BBmom 5 months ago

Just thought I’d let you know these make GREAT wool interlock longies (and shorties if you shorten them) due to all the bum room. Have loved this pattern both for interlock and even with regular wool.

21. Vy Lake 3 months ago

So cute! I will try to re-create this. Where did you get that cute elephant crib sheet from? My nursery is safari theme and that would be perfect. If you can, please email me where I can purchase this!
    Thanks, Vy

22. Jasmine 3 months ago

Thanks for sharing these. My 7 year old son and I just made a pair for our soon to be nephew/cousin. So quick and easy. Great first project!

23. melane 3 months ago

As I’m 39 weeks and 5 days pregnant I may just be totally missing it, but is there a pattern for the waist and trim on the legs? Not sure what size to make them.

Thank you!!
    Melanie

24. melane 3 months ago

I’m an idiot, just found it. Sorry!

25. Audrey 2 months ago

I feel silly for asking, but where can I find the ribbing?

Alison Faulkner 2 months ago

not silly! It’s in any fabric store, in fact I’d just ask the sales person! but it’s by the knit (stretchy) fabrics!

26. Cat 2 months ago

Hi Alison
    Thanks for this awesome pattern.
    Do you add extra seam allowance or is it included in your pattern?

Alison Faulkner 1 month ago

I include it in the pattern but these are SUPER small so you can always add a bit more around the sides! The length is prob fine though!