Toddler Valentines: Noodle Necklace

Toddler Valentines: Noodle Necklace

toddler valentine noodle necklace

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 9.51.50 PM

Ginger and I have been REALLY into painting lately. Probably because it’s so cold, I’m super pregnant, and I don’t like getting out of my sweat pants. When we ARE at the craft store (which is basically the only place I go) occasionally I will let her pick out some acrylic paints. Especially if they are on sale 3 for a $1. She gets absolutely giddy picking out the colors.

As I mentioned in my potato stamp post, when we paint I cover the table with freezer paper. This allows no paint to soak through. The other day we were getting bored with paper, so I dumped some noodles on the table for her to paint on and with. They ended up looking so cool I decided we should make necklaces out of them and send them to our cuzzies for Valentine’s day.

Read on for the free download, details on how we made these, and to see Ginger covered in paint.

We also really enjoyed this project because it took two afternoons. Which is a GOOD thing when trying to kill time with a toddler. As you can see below, she had a WHALE of a time painting in her jammies. And then a few days later we strung the necklaces.

toddler art project

Ginger is almost 2.5, and though she is EXTREMELY chatty and verbal, I’d say she’s not advanced with motor skills. I wasn’t sure if she’d be able to string the noodles, but I was pleasantly surprised. The trick? Wrap a piece of tape around the end of the string!

The tape wasn’t dangerous like a needle, and she got such a sense of accomplishment. Each time she strung a noodle she shouted, “I DID IT!”

We also used foam heart stickers from Wal-mart as stoppers for the noodles. Ginger was also able to squish two stickers together, and then sport some on her cheeks while crafting. She does make her mama proud.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 10.37.05 PM

You can download my noodle valentine’s here!

One says, “You make me lose my noodle.” And the other says, “I’m noodles for ya’ Valentine!” I know, I’m like, so clever.

In other news, I’m totally overwhelmed and seriously so touched by all the love and support you gave me for my post yesterday about our new life!

So many inspirational stories, and words of encouragement. It’s 100% the reason I started blogging. Yes I LOVE sharing craft ideas, and having an audience to say, “LOOK AT THIS!” to, but when it comes down to it I’m in it for the love and the connections. Thank you so much for being a part of this world. Feel free to sing that like Ariel.

Happy crafting and lots of love!

1. Laura 4 years ago

that gigi! She is so cute! these are awesome and we might just be involving ourselves with some noodles very soon.

2. Summer 4 years ago

So cute :) Your daughter is adorable!

3. Katie 4 years ago

Wonderful idea! You just helped us fill a day and a half of a rainy weekend–and I might have made myself a noodle necklace necklace since neither kid seemed very interested in sharing their leftovers with me.

Oh good! I’m so glad! That’s the thing with motherhood! It’s not like thinking of painting noodles is THAT hard, but then when you are sitting there all going crazy with boredom, it’s almost impossible to think of a solution! Glad i was at the right place at the right time!

4. Heidi 4 years ago

I love this!

5. All of your projects are so seriously adorable. xoxo

6. carrie 3 years ago

love this idea, my daughter is doing it as we speak.

7. Your noodle necklaces are adorable and clever!! We haven’t actually made noodle necklaces yet so I think this gives my 2 year old the perfect excuse!!

8. meri cherry 3 years ago

oh my gosh. everything about this is awesome!

9. Rebecca 3 years ago

These are great! What did you use to do the plastic sleeve in your first photo? Can’t wait to go get some noodles! :)

Hey! So it’s a cellophane sleeve, I get mine at a paper supply store in quantities of like 100! haha then I use them for everything. So like an Xpedx would have them or you could search online! xo

10. Michelle 3 years ago

These are adorable!

11. jessica 3 years ago

i would totally wear this!

12. BP 3 years ago

Thank you SO much for this cute idea and the printable. It was so much fun making this with my 3 year old. I think she is more excited to give these to her friends then receiving in return:-)

13. Kay 3 years ago

I think my 7 year old Girl Scouts will love this just as much as your adorable little daughter! Super fun idea!!! Thank u for sharing!

14. Kelly 9 months ago

what kind of paint and string did you use?

Alison Faulkner 9 months ago

that’s bakers twine and craft paint or acrylic paint! but you could use non toxic finger paint if you wanted!

15. Amanda 9 months ago

Hi, I found this on Pinterest and all three of my kids made these as valentine’s gifts for their classmates – they loved making them! Thanks for sharing.

Alison Faulkner 9 months ago

AW! THat makes me so happy! thanks so much for saying hi and sharing! xo