I love nothing more than a big, messy, fun bun. The longer and dirtier my hair gets, the better and bigger bun I can make. And more bun = more fun. Then I started noticing that all the teenagers were putting these adorable bows in the bottom of their buns. So naturally, I had to make a bigger and better bow for my larger and more intense bun. After all, I am both larger and more intense than a teenager.
Behold, the flouncy fun bun bow.
But flouncy bows aren’t just for fun buns! Look at how well Gigi rocks the flounce!
And matchy mommy-daughter flounce!
So, are you ready to put some more fun in your bun?! These bows are INCREDIBLY easy to make, but there is a bit of a trick to figuring out how to get them to look so flouncy. LUCKILY I figured it out! So read on for the full tutorial!
SUPPLIES YOU WILL NEED FOR ONE FUN BUN BOW:
- 15×8″ piece of flouncy material. Preferably something with polyester, as it doesn’t wrinkle and can have optimal flounce.
- A hot glue gun
- A strip of pleather or ribbon for the center
- E6000 glue (this is optional, but if you don’t want your clip to fall off…you probably want to pick some up. This stuff HOLDS. If you use hot glue to attach your clip it will not be as secure)
- Alligator (or other) hair clips
1. Add a strip of hot glue along the long WRONG side of your fabric
2. Press the ends together
3. Turn the fabric inside out, so the seam is on the inside (that’s the trick!)
4. Place your fabric with the seam up, and flatten it out a bit
5. Put some hot glue on one end, and fold it in towards the center
6. Put some hot glue down the center of the bow and fold the other side in, add some hot glue here and there to keep things in place
7. Flip your bow over and pinch it, wow, that looks AWESOME!
8. If using pleather or other fabric for the center, fold the raw edges in a hot glue them in place to get a clean edge
9. Wrap the pleather or ribbon around the center and then hot glue in place
10. Follow directions on your E6000 to hold your alligator clip in place
You have some fab bows! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO WITH THESE GOLD PLEATHER HEARTS?! Just wait. I have more ideas. And MORE Valentine’s ideas ALL WEEK LONG! In fact I might have too many to post. So we’ll see.
Also, if you’re wondering how I get my bun SO FUN, check out THIS RAD video tutorial.
Happy buns to all!