How to Finger Knit a Garland (revival)

How to Finger Knit a Garland (revival)
December 3, 2012 Alison Faulkner

So this is a revival post! But last week when I shared my Felt Triangle Garland, I got a few questions about the garland I paired it with. So I thought I’d re-share my love for finger knitting! (Original post here.)

The first picture is how I displayed my garlands last year, and this year I paired them with the new triangle garlands–both on my tree and my mantle place. I have the red one (that I attached deer to) hanging on my window valance paired with some tinsel-type garland. It looks so festive. And I’m still just so obsessed with them as I was last year! They’ve held up really nicely too.

For A Hip Handmade Holiday we displayed the Holiday Hoops craft by hanging them from my garlands. And I think it’s a pretty cute option too!

So here’s the tutorial video on how to finger knit your very own garland!

And here’s how I used the garlands last year (left) and this year (right) on my tree!

Happy finger knitting! Be sure to share you pictures with me if you make a garland or if you made one last year!

1. Birte 5 years ago

This is wonderful and it looks so easy. I will give it a try. I just need to buy this thicker yarn.

Thanks so much! it really is a ton of fun, but looks way better with the thicker yarn, so it’s worth the investment!

2. Heidi Jo 5 years ago

I totally had some finger knitting tutorial pinned on Pinterest but learn so much easier through videos than photos, so I’m stoked that you did a video tutorial. I am definitely going to be doing this tonight (assuming the kids are super nice to me and don’t wake up calling for me while I’m tangled in yarn). I’ll probably instagram it as I’m being super lazy about blogging right now. Thanks for the tutorial and can we please see more of your Christmas decor? I am in love with it. I’m all about the multi-colored, pastel, vintage, Anthropologie-esque Christmas stuff and yours is so inspiring! Oh, and lastly, I love your light switch plate peaking out in last year’s photo. Is that a DIY or something you bought?

You are so sweet! I don’t even know what I have going on in my house but I will be sure to share! The switch plate is from Anthropologie (clearance) forever ago! I hope the video is helpful! It’s super fun once you get going!

3. Hannah 5 years ago

I didn’t have quite as thick of yarn as you, but I tried it anyway and LOVED it! This will definitely be a go-to for me! I put up pictures on my blog 🙂 (crediting you of course;))

It looks so great! I went and took a peek! Thank you so much for sharing!

4. Bethany 5 years ago

I love it! I’m going to try this soon. Thanks for reviving it, since I wasn’t following you last year I would have missed out on finger knitting. 🙂

5. Monica Morales 4 years ago

The garland knitted with your fingers is awesome, and the idea of plastic clut from plastic bags is GREAT.
    My website is about knitting scarves http://www.learnhowtoknitascarf.com I enjoy doing crafts, crochet, and knitting.

6. CJ 4 years ago

I tried it and its working great!!! Easy to follow! Thanks!

7. Lisa 3 years ago

So much fun! Thank you for making it easy! 🙂

8. Lyndsey 2 years ago

Love this! We’ll be driving 10 hours to visit out-of-state family for Thanksgiving… found my road trip project, thank you! =0) About how much yarn do you need to make 1 garland, and about how long does it need to be to hang on the tree?

awesome it’s totally up to you how long it is! And I didn’t keep track!! on the amount of yard it really uses it depends so much on your type of yarn. but one skein will do at least 6-10 feet of garland would be my best guess!!