It’s been a while since I busted out the old machine and did some sewing! But Eric and I had a baby shower to attend, his old friend is the drummer of a popular rock band, haha, and I just HAD to make a little something for her soon-to-be rock star baby.
I bought a whole bunch of amazing knit fabric in the LA fabric district a while back, and it’s perfectly lightweight for a summer tank top. It’s so funny, I bought that fabric for $2 a yard, and I’ve seen it in use at Nordstrom and Forever 21. I’M ON TO YOU RETAIL WORLD. You could also easily make this baby tank top from one of your old shirts, check out my Tiny T Tutorial for tips on knit fabric.
First I made the little tank, and then I freezer paper stenciled the song lyrics onto the front of the shirt. Here’s the break down.
Tiny Tank top sewing tutorial
Download my free pattern here! It includes the “I WON’T SLEEP TONIGHT” print. Which, come on, is perfect for a baby. So if you wanted I guess you could just freezer paper this to a store-bought onesie!
I made this one size, it’s probably like a 3 month size. But you can easily size the tank up by adding 1 inch to the sides, top and bottom.
1. Cut out two of the tank pieces, wrong sides together
2. Pin the two pieces together RIGHT sides together, sew the side seams and the tops of the tank with a 3/8″ seam
3. Iron your seams open, and then *hem your shirt
*QUICK AND DIRTY METHOD= Roll the bottom of your shirt up, as pictured, 1/2 inches, press in place, then hem your shirt, sewing a row of stitches a little less then 1/2″ from the bottom. (I think it’s easier to turn the shirt right side up so you can see the line you’re stitching on the front of the shirt.) Sew another line 1/4″ under your top row of stitches. This will make a double row of stitches. So quick, so dirty.
4. Finish the collar. Roll the collar under to the wrong side 1/4″, press in place and sew in place by sewing close to the edge. You could roll the collar under twice for a more finished edge, but that’s just prissy. And if you’re prissy go ahead and repeat this step on the arm holes. I didn’t because I’m a bad-A messy seamstress (lazy). Plus it’s a knit fabric, it’s not going to fray people. And it’s for a baby. They will wear it twice, max!
5. Check out my other freezer paper tutorial here! But as a reminder: Tape down my “I WON’T SLEEP TONIGHT” print on a cutting mat. Then tape some freezer paper, shiny side down, on top of the print. Using a razor blade cut out the letters, make sure to save the insides of the “o’s” and “p”. Place some scrap paper inside the tank top, and then iron down the stencil. Use fabric paint and get crazy. To get white to pop on dark fabric you need 3 coats. Peel off the freezer paper and you’re ready to party!
Pair this sucker with a some Freshly Picked moccs and you’ll be the most popular girl (or boy) at the party.
I need to make Gigi one now! If I size up the pattern for her I’ll be sure to share it with you!
Happy crafting suckers! I love you all!